Saturday, July 11, 2015

sick

We're on the second weekend in the past month of being sick. Why, you might ask? Well, naturally, I can't be certain, but I'm willing to bet quite a bit it has something to do with parents dragging their sick kids out unnecessarily.

Since becoming a parent, I've been hyper aware of sickness. If we're feverish, or snotty, or coughing... we stay home. And, sure, every family might not have that "luxury" or "resource," but you can at least keep your kid out of the activities that aren't necessary. 

An optional play group, for example.

We recently started going to a play group on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It's a nice little activity the city does. A big room full of fun learning toys that target all of the developmental areas. A circle time, songs, etc. Parents have to attend, and they're responsible for their own children. It isn't curriculum based at all, merely a nice social activity. 

But, as I said, this is the second time we've been sick since discovering it. 

This past Monday I watched a mother wipe snot from her kids nose with her bare hand, then wipe her hand onto her jeans, and then grab that kitchen toy and hand it to her child. Buh

We left after that. Of course, that kid had been there the whole time and we were already exposed, but still. It's things like that that I notice. 

Without fail, come Wednesday evening N was feverish. By Thursday and he was coughing and snotty nosed. And then guess what? Come Friday, we missed our "pway" day because some other parent didn't have the same curtesy earlier in the week.

It just irritates the crap out of me.

Sure, sure, you get a bunch of kids together and they're going to pass along germs. Whatever. Sure, sure, crack those jokes about "building up that immune system." 

If you're kid isn't symptomatic and you bring them and they spread germs to everyone, that is in no way the same thing as dragging them in when they're coughing non-stop, and have a constant stream of snot pouring from their nose. And in the case of the latter... just keep them home. Especially when they're far too young to comprehend covering their mouth, wiping their nose, and washing their hands. C'mon.

#mommyrant
#rantover

No comments:

Post a Comment