Friday, June 5, 2009

And the Political Opinions Begin

Recently, the topic of same-sex marriage was discussed with me. I have strong political views, and I don't mind sharing them. The problem with that is it's difficult for just about anyone else to see my point-of-view because so many people are stuck in the Republican vs Democrat state of mind. 

Forget those. I'm all about freedom. I think it's comical that Americans believe they're so free, when we march around like obedient minions doing exactly what we're told to do by our 'government.' 

But that's another story for another time. 

I use to be shallow, but C was always expanding my knowledge and pushing me to educate myself on the depths of politics and politicians. If he and I do disagree politically, it really doesn't take long before I see his side of it and am pulled over to it. Because, back to that freedom thing...

So, are you ready for this? I do not think same-sex marriage should be illegal. 

Spiritually and morally, I do not believe a decision to engage in that kind of relationship is right. However, spiritually and morally a lot of things aren't right, but no one is rallying to make those things illegal either. 

Here is why:

First, let's touch (again) on that freedom business. We're suppose to be living in a free country. Free. Freedom. Do people know what that even means anymore? It's the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hinderance or restraint. [read that last sentence a few more times]

If a person is not endangering someone else's life, liberty, or property, then they should be free (man, that word just keeps coming up) to live who they choose. 

The government nor anyone else has the right to control our lives. If you want to do something that harms only you, that's your choice. If you want to do something that contradicts popular beliefs, then that's your choice. If you want to do something that goes against popular religion, then... that is your choice

Secondly, to all the "Christians" out there, acclaimed people serving in the name of love. People who are suppose to be kind, gentle, merciful, and forgiving. What are you doing? Do you think your church signs do anything but look smug? Do you think your rallies are going to reach out and save a lost soul? Do you think your arrogant statements about people engaging in said cause are going to do anything on your behalf for Christ? 

I believe our God sent His only son. I believe Jesus was our Savior and died for our sins. I seek repentance and salvation. And, I still say no, this should not be illegal. 

Even if you are wanting to 'make a stand' to take back our country for God, this is not the correct approach [p.s. Why aren't you advocating lying be illegal, why aren't you advocating not going to church be illegal, why aren't you advocating taking the Lord's name in vain be illegal, why aren't you advocating coveting be illegal? There are commandment sins saturating our actions and behaviors, yet gay marriage is at the top of your list to attack?]

God has never, does not, and never will force a soul to follow Him or abide by His laws. 

We are all entitled to our own sin because of that freedom that the God of all creation gives us. 

I stand with no authority to condemn or judge this act, nor do I want to encourage my government to use force to make them desist from activity that they choose to partake in that harms no other person.

Perhaps by showing them the same decency we show other people/friends, we can actually look more like vessels that reflect the way God would want us to act and live.

I would find it so much more rewarding to influence someone else's life through my actions and beliefs by being a witness, not by using a government proxy to control and force my beliefs on others.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on this one. My thoughts are that in this crazy world that we live in, if someone can find love then more power to them. I am not worthy of judging someone's feelings.

    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete