Friday, January 2, 2015

year in review

This year has been busy. I’m guessing being a parent just means the rest of your life spent with truly busy years.

We settled into our new location much more this year. I know where things are, we have routines, we explore a bit and do fun things. Our house feels like a home again. It’s been refreshing. 

We’re surviving a growing toddler, who brings with him a wealth of stress, challenges and unspeakable joy. I love spending my days with him. And, though I’d be lying if I said I didn’t often crave more adult interaction, I undoubtedly know that I would never forfeit this opportunity. I respect my husband more than I could ever show for taking care of our family financially, so that I can take care of our family at home. I know it isn’t in the cards for everyone, but I feel truly lucky that it has been for us.

It helps that C has so much fun at work. I'm sure I've mentioned before, but the Bay Area knows how to baby its programmers. Most of these workplaces work so hard to maintain a certain funness level, that I often joke how much do they actually work. They have game rooms, big screen TVs, video games, stocked snacks, fancy catered lunches and breakfasts, every Thursday Cory's team has a tea time with 'real' tea and scones, they play games, they have beer and other alcohol stocked at work! It's just crazy. I mean, I apparently need to learn how to be a software developer. He's likely going to get a promotion to Senior Engineer soon, which is something he's been working towards. 

It’s been an exciting year, as it was our first full year in the Bay Area. Oh, how I have fallen head-over-hills in love with the weather. I’ve said a million times, and it’s no lie, the weather here is my kind of perfect. It’s in the 60s most of the time, with a wealth of sunshiny days. Heavenly. Our ‘winter’ is a mask of gray skies and a mist of wet days, but even so, it doesn’t compare with the severity of what we grew up in.

We talk sometimes about moving back to MO, or nearby. There are places in TX we both enjoy, and we both adore Chicago. But our conversation always rounds back to the weather. Seriously. What can I say? It’s become a priority to us. I love really nice, steady weather. Can't stand too hot or too cold. I never really could, but it's even worse for me now. 

So, for the 2014 resolutions:
  • Learn a new skill
    • I learned to play the ukulele! It was for my husband, as part of his 12 Days of Birthday. He was so surprised. It was adorable. 
  • 12 Books in 12 Months
    • Epic, epic, fail. I find that becoming a parent as allotted such little time for extra curricula, and when I’m prioritizing what I want to do, that book I’ve been wanting to read just isn’t make the cut. Oof. 
  • Fitness
    • I might not have reached my goal weight, but I’m overwhelming proud of my achievements here. My hubs can vouch for me. I was on it. I don’t know why the weight is being so stubborn, but I shaped up my diet drastically, and I do intense workouts 6 days a week. I even have before/after pictures which are clear demonstrations of my effort. The numbers on the scale just aren’t cooperating. Alas, I’m not as focused on that as I once was. I’m much more proud of these tiny arm muscles I actually have. And that small amount of definition in my thighs. And, believe it or not, those subtle ab lines on the upper half of my stomach. Definitely an achievement for me. Ha!
  • Writing Project
    • Boom. I finished it! It’s being edited and re-edited. It’s had plot changes again and again. But, I finished that sucker in January! Maybe someday, it’ll make it’s debut. (The statement just presented was written the week before Christmas, as I started tackling this post. As a Christmas gift, that my husband somehow managed to keep secrete, it is finished! And will be making its debut! Eeek!) 
  • Socialize
    • Yeah, um, not really. My closest friend here took up a full-time job as her youngest headed into grade school land. As a result, I see her much less. Between all of our trips back to MO, and all of the visitors we had here… seriously where is the time/energy for effort? We socialize with parents/kids at the parks. We even run into familiar faces often. Just nothing very ‘deep’ has developed from those. 
  • Settle into a Church
    • Hmm. I’m not sure. We started going to a house of prayer up here. They have a lot of things we’re looking for and N does well in the nursery. But, the people don’t seem all that… friendly. Seems odd to say about a church, but it is true. Maybe we’ll go back to the one we liked most when N hits the 2-year-mark, as they did not have a nursery and it was basically impossible trying to contain him during a service. For real, trying to sit and occupy a 1-year-old in a service = I might as well have not even been there. 
  • Spending more one-on-one time with Jesus
    • Not quite where I want to be, but definitely more than last year. I’m envious of my high school self in this area. I would get up early every morning just to pray and read my bible. I would again at lunch (in high school). I started a prayer group that met in the mornings and right after school for a scripture of the day and quick prayer. I went to church right after school on Wednesdays and was there throughout (and even helped lead) the services. I know my life is different now, and I have more things and responsibilities than I did then. But, I also know that I could be doing more. So… keep on keepin’ on.
Though I didn't mark off as many as I wanted, I feel that the ones I accomplished were pretty time consuming and important. So, I actually feel pretty good about it.

I'm ready to greet a new year with positive outlooks, new goals and fresh visions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment