Sunday, February 12, 2012

test run

Last night was what I like to call our baby test run. We've never had any of the nieces actually stay all night with us and last night our 8 month old niece did.

We picked her up sometime between 5:00-6:00pm. When we got her home she was in a fantastic mood. After feeding her some dinner - which was an adventure considering we don't really have a baby-friendly environment or equipment at the moment - I put her in her playpen while we fixed ourselves food. We bought a playpen for the occasion, because I think there'll start being more occasions where she sleeps over and because we'll need one someday anyway ;)

She hung out in the floor with me while I ate and we watched some tv.

Around 8:00 o'clock she started getting really fussy. However, I really wanted her to stay awake a little longer! So that maybe she'd sleep a little later. But, by 8:30 she was pretty pitiful and I decided it was very silly. So, I gave her a bath, which was so much fun! She loved it and it woke her up a bit. Now, getting her out and drying her off... she did not like. She got super ticked off at me. 

When she was all dry and in her jammies I gave her a bottle and her favorite blanket. She fell asleep sometime around 9:15-9:30. Once she was conked out, I did some cleaning, showered myself, then screwed around on my computer and finally settled into bed a little after 10:30.

She did very well, she didn't wake back up till 3:30am, and I thought 6 hours was pretty good considering. I changed her and she seemed pretty hungry so I gave her another bottle and she went right back to sleep afterwards. Then she started waking up frequently around 6:00am. Finally, at 7:00 I did the terrible act of putting her in bed with us. I'll never do it with my own kids. Mark my words - I will not. That is a terrible habit for many reasons. However, I know that this niece does frequently get to sleep with an adult and I had a terrible sore throat and headache and really just wanted to sleep a little bit longer! Besides, I'm just the aunt to this child, so I get to do all of the bad habit things and then send her back... riiight? ;)'

I got another hour and half of sleep in there before she was ready to really wake up.

Then today went really smooth. We all had some breakfast together and then I played with her most of the day. She's such a happy, cuddly little baby! Her uncle played some music for her and she loved it! He also changed one diaper - one! - and it was pretty comical. I don't know why, he's changed diapers before. I guess it'd just been a while.

And then, back off to mama she went :)

Of course, it was different. Having her for a full day and night. It made me know that my priorities and 'free time' will definitely change. But, then again, that's the point of becoming a parent when you're ready to right? Good parents change their priorities when they have kids, instead of just trying to keep the same ones and work around their kids. 

2 comments:

  1. You'll be a great mommy, I'm sure. Life sure does change when you have a little one, but I honestly never even noticed how different it is until someone points it out to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you! I know that I probably don't even grasp the extent of it, but you're not the first mommy that I've heard say they didn't really 'notice' it. Maybe it really does just come natural. For good parents anyway ;) And by natural I mean the ability to make your life about your child and not mind doing that.

    ReplyDelete