Wednesday, May 22, 2013

public works: special pickup

I recently had my one free special pickup with the city scheduled. To my surprise, everything was picked up except for a large, old, beat up, trash can. Confused by this I emailed the department. Finally I got a response about it being policy to never pickup trash cans unless they were labeled "trash," because they'd picked them up in the past and people had complained that the can itself wasn't trash and then the department had to replace them. Sure. Implementing a policy to correct the situation makes sense. However, that policy certainly isn't common knowledge, nor is it listed on the website in the Special Pickup section, nor was it said by the secretary who scheduled my appointment. How was I to know this internal policy even existed? The Superintendent told me to call and schedule for them to pick it up the following Wednesday. That seemed reasonable to me, considering the miscommunicated information is on the Public Works end. Surprise again, apparently calling to have them pick it up the following Wednesday wasn't just to correct their mistake, but they were charging me for a regular Special Pickup. Had I known, I'd have certainly had more out there to pickup. 

Epic fail of public service to one irate customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment