I went the forever long 5 days without internet during our transition of moving from yet another airbnb to our more long-term apartment. Our new "home." I put it in quotes because it doesn't feel like home yet. Not that I don't like the place, it's really nice. We've been here, well, 5 days and I have no complaints from neighbors or noise or anything. I feel like that's a good sign. Right? We have a pool and hot tub, a small gym, gated community kind of thing, walking distance to the beach. It's nice. It just doesn't feel like home yet.
Being unplugged for the rest of the world got me thinking. I remember when we didn't have the internet. Heck, I think I must've been a freshman or sophomore in high school before we had it in my house. Even then it was the slowest of slow dial up internet. The kind that you start up the connection and then go eat a bowl of cereal or something while it turtles it's dialing, loud self to the magical internets.
I remember being outside doing stuff. Doing something. Do anything. All the time. Even at that age. Fishing in the "river" outside my house with my brother or shooting guns at something. Climbing trees. Riding bikes. Yep, I did all of those things in my spare time up till the age of like 16.
What happen?
Now, I have a smart phone and check my "stuff" multiple times a day (ya never know, something life changingly interesting might've happened in that hour). I sit at my computer browsing aimlessly during my free moments. I think of random things to write about or read about or dream about. I Pinterest up an unrealistic life. I soak up some Facebook social/drama updates. I read with interest at all the tweets from famous celebrities on my Twitter.
Not that anything is necessarily wrong with any of that. It's just so dependent on the power of a screen. I love writing and reading. I don't like all the crap that Facebook has become, but I like status updates and pictures (Twitter is essentially Facebook improved, but I can't seem to get my fb friends to make the switch lol).
Even though I found it ridiculously difficult to be unplugged from my little online world, it was a good thing. I accomplished a crazy amount and it made me think about my life pre-internet-accessibility-at-all-times. I hope I can convenience my husband to get on board with the one weekend per month internet-free proposal.
Nonetheless, I'm back and caught up on all my stuff :)
No comments:
Post a Comment