Wednesday, April 1, 2015

divergent

I haven't mindlessly blogged in a while, but today I feel inspired to do just that. 

#anotherbookturnedmovierant

^ Because hashtags annoy the hubs. Sometimes, just because they annoy him, I will actually say the word hashtag followed by some popular internet hashtag pertaining to our situation. Ah... hashtags. They've really gotten away from what they were intended to be. People hashtag basically everything now. But, that's another rant for another time. 

I have recently been neglecting my honorable duties as a stay at home wife/mom. I feel the blame can justly be placed on Veronica Roth. 

I watched Divergent whenever it came out. Shortly after seeing the film I added the book to my Kindle and never read it. Classic me. 

On the plane ride home in December, when my toddler was actually napping, I had nothing to do so I pulled it up and started reading. I probably got about half way through the book before I was truly engulfed, but when it happened it was a whole-hearted commitment.

I dove right into the second book, finishing it in three days - a personal record for myself. I'm now half way through the third, and final, book. I'm already sad that I'm about to run out of book. 

But, I won't blah about book content too much either. It's just a really good storyline, and major kudos to the author for stitching it together seamlessly, while captivating my attention throughout.

This post is really to gripe about what movie producers do to book content. Twilight. Hunger Games. Narnia. Maze Runner. These books become wildly popular because of substance. 

I understand that movies can't realistically capture the same amount of quality as the pages between covers do, but my biggest pet peeve will forever be when movies change an action from a character that, in written words, is vital to the core of who they really are.

A silly example off the top of my head: Twilight movie Edward having to be told/made to stop sucking blood from Bella's wrist versus Twilight book Edward stopping himself because of the feelings he had for her. That scene in particular, it took something away from who Edward was. 

Divergent did this more than the other movies I've watched - movies inspired by books, anyway. Just stupid changes, too. Often I hear about movies not having the time for this scene or that. Or the resources. But, things as simple as who Tris fights against in the training battles, her competency in weaponry use, her stolen moments with Four. The movie stripped away so much from this story. 

The Divergent book has Tris in a constant war with three other initiates, gradually improving her skills until she handedly wins her hands-on combatting sessions with Peter and Molly (Molly in particular who has such a weird/minor role in the movie). 

The Divergent book has Tris taking her time shooting guns, first working on technique before even firing her weapon, then successfully out performing all other transfer initiates. 

The Divergent book has Tris and Four's relationship developed by the time he throws knives at her, purposefully slicing her ear. 

The Divergent book has Tris surrendering to a bullet, before she'd ever even consider shooting her own family members (in the simulation final). To me, this is one of the changes that completely manipulates who Tris really is, and her core beliefs that are rooted in her Abnegation upbringing. 

And my personal favorite: Divergent book Tris shoots Eric on purpose, not by accident in a struggle for weapon control. Another one that changed who she was. They threatened someone she loved, and she was willing to shoot someone because of it. Not because he grabbed the barrel of her gun before she could do anything about it.

These scenes are all in the movie, but completely changed or severely stripped of their quality. I mean like... why? The movie makers' arguments of not having time/resources for those changes are rendered completely invalid.

I find it infuriating. Especially when I've totally fallen in-love with a book, and then the movie tells the story all wrong.

The point is: go read the book. It's amazing.

#rantover

p.s. The Insurgent trailer alone has me frustrated, but you know I'll watch it anyway, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment