Monday, August 3, 2009

I AM right

It wouldn't be a family thing without a fight thing. We had a huge debate that ended up too extreme on Sunday morning. 

My dad was telling us a story about my brother (an officer), I'll try not to go into a lot of bitter detail, but the story was of B pulling over some guy who wouldn't get out of his car, without some threats (b/c that's what cops do). Once he was out of the car he 'wouldn't listen' to whatever B was telling him to do. Somehow or another it turned into a physical confrontation that also resulted in tasering.

Naturally (in my opinion), I found the story anger inducing. So, I expressed that it wasn't right. 

There's no reason for cops to act like gods or believe they're put here to control people. Or to even think that people have to obey them.

This turned into a massive debate on the limits of cops. It was more or less my dad and uncle T debating against me and C while everyone else didn't dare pipe up.

D and T basically think cops can do whatever the hell they want because 'the law' is on their side. They think that if a cop wants to pull you over for no good reason and make you get out of your vehicle to search it, that they can do that. 

That's simply not true. If you have not broken any laws, you can say no. You can refuse. You can exercise your constitutional rights and tell them they can when they have a warrant. 

Keep in mind the god-like complex these people walk around with though. They'll likely get angry at your refusal, and that could escalate into something unfavorable for you.

I'd say there's a good chance you could get yanked out of your car, beaten, tased, and who knows what else. But, also know, that if you took it beyond the worthless people who wear those uniforms (and went to school for all of 3 months to put them on), perhaps even beyond county and state levels... you would win. 

D and T continued to support the idea that cops can do whatever with 'probable cause.' Which they actually kept calling 'reasonable cause' because they don't understand the term. 

The term comes from the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." 

Probable cause is a higher degree of evidence than reasonable suspicion. Probable cause exists when facts and circumstances within the officer's knowledge are sufficient to authorize a cop or well judged person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime. 

So, yes, if I'm driving drunk and swerving all over the place freaking pull me over and arrest me. I was putting other people's lives at risk. 

If a cop has received a call that a murder has been committed and my car matches the description and I match the physical description of the suspect, sure, pull me over and hold me until you know for sure. 

I can see the probable causes within those types of arrests. But, when a crime has not been committed and you pull me over for your own personal reasons and suspicions...no you can't do that. 

Also, even if I have committed a crime, it is not a cop's job to rough me up or slam me around. It is their job to arrest me. The end. 

If I'm rightfully accused and I'm resisting arrest, whatever, do what you have to do to cuff me and get me in your car. The end. And if I'm not resisting arrest, then a cop's only authority is to cuff me, read me my rights, and put me in a car. 

These cops who feel like roughing up people is delivering some kind of justice, should be held accountable for assault. If they want to be involved in delivering punishments in the name of justice, then they need to go to a real school and become a judge or prosecuting attorney.

Cops are servants. Do you realize that? They're servants to the people. They took an oath! They're suppose to protect us. They're suppose to keep peace, enforce law, and serve the people. 

Lastly, D and T kept ignorantly kept saying the "law is on their side." Their meaning cops. 

Um, The Constitution of the United States of America is the Supreme Law of the Land in the United States and all other laws legislated, enforced, and tried must conform to the Constitution if they are to have any force of 'law.' 

This is the way it was suppose to be. However, we have some ambitious politicians who want to expand their power at the expense of the people. I hope you realize this expense is our freedoms. Our freedoms are being taken away little by little and we stand by idly watching as it happens. Heck, some even supporting it. 

Once the 'law' starts being defined by what some politicians and law enforcers want, then respect for the law no longer exists and lawlessness surely follows. 

The Constitution is law because it quite clearly recognizes that all power flows from the people and that the government formed is indebted to the people. It is the people who must jealously guard their inherent political power for it is the nature of all governments and all government officials to expand their power. 

When the people forget that it is they who hold the original political power is when the government expands and expands and expands. 

Read the Constitution, study it take time to read the Declaration of Independence, too. Read these great documents and the Supreme Law of the Land and learn for yourself the very real freedoms that you have, and how your government strongly disagrees with those freedoms. 

It all ended with D saying he should just leave because he was so irritated, and I agreed, which only made him more angry. He can't do much to me. I'm married, I support myself, and I sure as heck don't need any tangible support from him to live my life. I'm not sure if this scares him or only irritates him, either way, he knows it and doesn't like it.

So he started taking his frustration out on my sis. Of course, that just irritated me more. Nonetheless, the debate had ended at that point. 

I do not stand corrected in any fashion, and I very much stand by all statements I made. 

I think it's extremely sad that if a cop pulled me over for no reason and I refused his search, and all of that resulted in me getting dragged from my vehicle and beaten or tased or both, then arrested... that they'd agree with what the cop had done. By their own standards. 

Sickening.  

I will end with some videos that relate to my point. 

 

Just to note - this guy took his case beyond the scum of county/state levels. As a result, every single officer involved was terminated from employment and both departments went under heavy investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment