I hear the screen door to our front door open and then without hesitation, as if it were someone who was just going to walk right in, the door handle jiggled a few times. Aiko flipped out. My heart stopped.
Luckily all of my blinds were down, so I bolted over to check the side door and it was locked, and then I ran back toward the living room where no one could see me.
I tried to talk sense into the scenario. Maybe it was the mail person or some type of delivery. Maybe it was a Jehovah Witness. Maybe it was one of the annoying people handing out flyers.
But, if it were any of those people, why would they not knock? Why wouldn't they ring the door bell? Why would they just open up the screen door and jiggle the handle?!
My crazy - or ninja - skills were working. I had already assessed my location in the house and all of the things I could use for defense if someone was indeed trying to break in. While I kept myself very alert, I called Cory.
He flipped out on me and told me to call the police. Then he headed back home. Only a few minutes later he arrived and I already felt safer.
He did end up making me call the police. What if someone was wondering around the neighborhood checking for unlocked doors? Or planning a break in?
Pretty unsettling.
So, I called the - in my opinion - mostly worthless people who are suppose to protect us. I explained the situation and they told me they'd send someone to check it all out. I don't know what that means, but no one ever came to the house.
Nothing else came of it, but it was still pretty freaky.
Also, our road just horseshoes and at a completely arbitrary point it actually changes street names. This creates some confusion sometimes, because like 6 houses down from ours is a house with the same house number, but it's a different street address. So, back to trying to rationalize it… I pretend that maybe it was someone visiting that house that had just been told to come in when they got there (?). Maybe that's a stretch.
Gah!
These are the kinds of things you expect out of the south side of town, but not the north!
No comments:
Post a Comment