Monday, September 3, 2012

vanity

We did it. We made a vanity! I'm excited about it and proud of us! It even looks fantastic, not like some cheap piece of furniture. Lol. 

It feels like it's taken forever. We finally attached the acrylic glass top this evening and hung the mirror. I've got all my stuff on it and organized too. I'll use it functionally for the first time tomorrow! Yay!

This project is pretty much a direct result of my new little love that's taken up residence in my uterus ;)  

I usually just climb up onto the bathroom counter and sit cross-legged while preparing myself for the day. 

The hubs and I were in agreement that that is no longer acceptable. After a long search for the perfect vanity and failing, we decided to just build one I love that I got to create it custom for the space I had. 

Let's get started!

These were the boards used as the base/bottom board (the bigger board) and the divider boards that the glass rests on (the smaller board). The bottom board is a 1x12 (4' long). The board used for dividers was 1x4 (4' long), and we cut three lengths of about 11.25 inches (the 1x12 was slightly shorter than 12") out of it.



After cutting the dividers we just connected one on each end and one in the middle of the 1x12. 



These 8 foot 2x2s were used for the legs. We cut our legs to be 26 inches, with smaller crossbeams at the top and foot of the leg that were each about 7.5 inches. 









Finally all the pieces were connected!





Several days of sanding, staining, drying, sanding, staining, drying, sealing followed. Sigh. There was light at the end of the tunnel though!



When the acrylic glass top arrived, we very carefully screwed it on (talk about tense carpentry!). Then, we put it in place and hung the mirror.







At last, I was able to get all my stuff on to it and organized!









Should've zoomed out on some of these pictures and got some of the other furniture in frame, doesn't really seem to go with those boarders. Lol. But, the vanity matches the other bedroom furniture like perfectly! :)  Btw, it looks black in some of these pics, but it's really just a dark brown. 

One of the best parts? Building this ourselves was cheaper than just about anything I could find, plus I got to customize it for what I wanted it to be and to fit into the space that I had.

Note:  We had a miter saw available to us and made our own cuts, but I know Lowes will mostly do that for you if you can't. 

Here were my costs:
  • $16.55 - All wood and screws needed for the project, all purchased from Menards.
  • $40.40 - Custom ordered (47.5x11.25) and shipped to my house from http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com
  • $5.97 - Walnut stain from Lowes (though I already had some of this from another project, that's how much it cost). 
  • $62.95 - Was my total costs for the vanity alone (give or take a dollar)

For my accessories…
  • $14.95 - 24x30 mirror from Lowes.
  • $19.33 - White container boxes purchased from Staples.
  • $40.00 - My 'splurge' item was the ottoman stool, purchased from Target.

Of course there are cheaper ways to organize your vanity (especially in seating), those are just the things that I chose :)

I think it looks great and I'm so happy it's finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment