Sunday, May 24, 2009

My thoughts after watching Taken (human trafficking)

Yesterday the hubby and I watched the movie Taken with our friends E and C. I thought it was an amazing movie! It definitely helps capture a harsh reality that is happening in our time. 

It's devastating and heart breaking to think of how much truth lies within the topic. I can't wrap my mind around the disgusting and worthless individuals who must be involved in such a horrid act. My heart breaks for them as well though. I pray God's judgment fall upon these people...however at the same time I pray His mercy does. 

I try to fathom in my mind what their lives are and must have been like to be the people that they are. People who engage in kidnapping, drugging , selling, and prostituting women! I'm not sure I can explain the amount of pain that fills my heart when I think about this issue. 

After seeing this movie, however, I see an alternate side to it that I don't think I've really heard mentioned. It's going to be hard to express without sounding harsh and potentially arrogant and ignorant. But, I believe there might be some (some) cases where women create the circumstances that puts them in that situation. 

Don't mistake this point for anything more than what it is. Under no circumstances could any individual ever deserve what these poor women go through. Ever.

Gullibility, the terrible characteristic that it is, can get you into trouble though. Ladies, c'mon. Why would you ever tell a perfect stranger - no matter how charming and handsome - such pointed information about yourself. If he's really charming and handsome, he'll be charming and handsome a few days later - and weeks later... and months later. 

To me, it seems like common sense to not hand out information about who you are, if you're a guest to some country (or any place really), if you're staying alone, if you're up for a 'good time,' where you're staying, and agreeing to have them pick you up, etc. 

I mean, if you're all like, "Yeah, I'm from a different country. I'm just 18 too, can you believe it? I'm suppose to be doing this concert thing while I'm here, but... I'm sure there are funner things to do. Oh, an I'm staying in this nice apartment with my friend. We've got the place to ourselves too. Just the two of us." That's a bad deal. Don't be like that.

Of course, other measures could be taken to these terrible acts of human trafficking as well. Our protectors in uniforms who sit with radar guns trying to catch the occasional speeder, or the person who does the rolling stop at a stop sign, or the driver who didn't signal... seriously? That's what you're getting paid to do? Women are being kidnapped and turned into sex slaves. I'm not saying every case could be prevented. Heck, most of them probably couldn't even be prevented. I understand there aren't enough cops to post on every street or every house. But, some actual patrolling and police work might make a difference sometimes. Just maybe.

Human trafficking is not as prominent in our country as others, but it still happens way too often! I pray that I see a day when something is actually starting to be done about it, when preventive measures are taken, when women aren't so naive and gullible, when cops are wiser and more dedicated, when parents start enforcing the word "no" to their teenage kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment