Monday, June 27, 2011

Scaredy cat

Ever so often my husband has to go to stupid maintenance windows. These are things that he has to do at work, but have to be done at night because it involves messing with people's phone lines and such - or something along those lines anyway.

These maintenance windows vary wildly in the amount of time spent doing whatever task is being done and in the time they start. Usually it means the hubs will be working all night and then be off the next day. Which is always hard, because then he has to time his sleep cycle such that he still sleeps the following night to go back to a regular schedule the following day. Super lame.

Anyway, he had one of these last night and he was leaving me at around 9:30. I hate going to bed alone. I hate being in the house alone after dark. My mind is way waaaay too good at fabrications.

When he left I decided to just clean up the kitchen, finish the dishes, switch and fold some laundry, and then be off to bed.

After finishing the kitchen and going into the basement to do the laundry, I was about half way finished folding a load when I heard something that sounded liking our side door opening. It was so prominent that I was half expecting Cory to walk in, I thought maybe he'd forgotten something. Then I heard what sounded like something bumping into our little key holder - that's nailed to the wall right by that door - and then something that sounded like things falling.

I automatically froze and Aiko - my 3 pound 'protector'- got into protective mode. She started barking and growling and going all psycho. I didn't move an inch, I was waiting for more sounds... or something. Aiko ran about half way up the stairs before she came back down. This bothered me. She usually runs around and investigates the entire house when we hear strange sounds. Not only that, but she ran back to me and sat down right on my feet and faced the stairs to continue a low growling hum.

We don't really have any weapons in the house, but I noticed a long screwdriver and so I picked it up. Not really sure what I planned to do with it, but having something to at least stab with seemed like a good idea.

When I started feeling a little dizzy, I realized I was holding my breath. I sighed quietly and then tip-toed into the den where my cell phone was. I was about to call the hubs when I realized he would think this was all very silly.

So, instead I called the BFF and told her about it. She agreed to call the police if I were to suddenly scream or get disconnected. Not that this was particularly helpful if someone was in my house, but at least someone would know...

I sat in the den talking to her for the next 2 hours. That's when I heard more noises, only this time it was actually the hubby coming home. Thank the Lord that window hadn't been an all nighter.

I got off the phone and was instantly more relaxed to have the hubs home. I told him about it and he did in fact think it was silly. Except for, there had been things knocked off of our key ring. Things that probably shouldn't have been able to be knocked off unless someone had bumped into it. And also, one of our bedroom doors was closed that neither of us remember closing - and we rarely close doors in our house anyway so it was strange.

Cory investigated the whole house though and didn't find anything else out of place or anyone hiding in any corners or closets, as I crawled into our bed ready to pass out. He came back into the room and told me he was going to take a shower. I frowned.

He walked around the room looking in all the corners and under the bed - again. "Want me to check the closet?" He mocked. I nodded.

He dramatically opened the closet door, slowly at first, and the pushed it the rest of the way open quickly. He even poked around in there - probably just humoring me. Then, he did the same thing with the other side.

After that, I was so tried I fell asleep quickly. Strange how much easier it was for me to relax just having him there. I could never live by myself. I would be a nervous wreck all the time. I'd need a giant, police-trained dog or something. Geez. 

No comments:

Post a Comment