Sunday, June 5, 2011

Anniversary surprise

I've known for a few weeks now that I was not allowed to make any plans for June 4th. I didn't know why though. Several months ago, I had discovered the Glee Live tours - because in February(ish) I started watching the show. I wanted to go, but the nearest date at the closest location still seemed like too far and too close to the deadline to get concert tickets.

I asked constantly about the mystery and received no clues. I made assumptions, but Cory quite thoroughly ignored them giving away nothing.

On Friday we had a date night, I bugged him relentlessly about what we would be doing the next day. He still didn't toss me any ideas! He even lead me astray, he had me really believing we were going to some amusement park somewhere - or something along those lines.

When I asked what time I should set my alarm for as I crawled into bed Friday night, he told me that he had it covered. By this time, I knew better than to ask. On Saturday morning, when the alarm went off I was nowhere near done sleeping, I rolled over to look at the clock that read 5:00am and groaned.

Cory got out of bed and said, "You need to get up and start getting ready."

The anticipation almost made me wake up enough to care. Almost. I rolled back the other way and managed to mumble out, "What am I getting ready for?" 


"Well, in about an hour Hollie, Kim, and Amanda are going to be here and then we're driving to Chicago to see Glee." He told me.

I popped right up and squealed with excitement - literally. "What?! Seriously?" I shrieked.

Then, I realized I only had an hour to get ready so I ran about hurriedly to accomplish that task.

Now, I know that I'm 23-years-old and married to someone who is 26-years-old... but I'm telling you - for me - this was a great surprise! Made even better by the fact that my sister and two of my closest cousins would join me - all of who I knew would share my level of excitement.

The 6 hour drive up there wasn't too bad. We were all too giddy to be that bothered by it. Plus, it was basically just like any other time we all hang out together and we had plenty to talk and banter about.

We arrived, had lunch, and then headed over to the Arena. There were a lot of people there, but we found our seats easily enough and had an hour to sit there before the show started. That wasn't too bad either.

The most frustrating part was that they didn't really start setting up for the pre-show until it was time for the show to start. So it delayed it by nearly 20 minutes. When the pre-show did start... it was some dancers. Some very good dancers, but after 10-15 minutes I was bored with that. I was there to see Glee. I was getting flustered. It seemed forever long, 30 minutes long to be exact. But, when that ended they turned the lights back on for a break. Ugh. So we sat there for another half hour while they re-prepared the stage for the actual show.

Finally, it was time. Of course when the Glee cast finally came out there was so much screaming from the audience you could barely hear the beginning of their song. Lol. It was all amazing though! All of these performers seem so different from others. They just seem so down to earth - to me. They seem to really want to interact with their crowd. At one point, some of them even brought out their cell phones and cameras to take pictures of their audience! How cool?

I did seem to be in a dud of a crowd though. The people below us and all of the people on the floor in front of the stage were standing and dancing and singing along - all of those things you usually do at a concert. The section we sat in acted like that was some forbidden behavior. During one song, though, I refused to stay in my seat. So me and the two cousins stood up to dance and sing. I think we annoyed some people. I'm sorry, but I paid a lot of money for a ticket and came a really long way to see this show. I was going to enjoy it.

And, I did. I had so much fun. It was an absolute blast. The Glee cast did just an amazing job. They were so much fun to watch! And they all looked even better than they do on tv ;)'

Every bit of it was worthwhile. And I'm so thrilled that my hubs had this idea and gave me this gift.


It's funny and a little ironic - since the name of the show is Glee - but, the show really is like a happy, fun, sunshine time to me. Delightful. I mean, how could you watch that show or watch them perform and not just feel happy? I think all of their attitudes and personalities contributed so much to that in a live performance - even more so than on the show, they all seem to love performing and love their fans and they were all outstanding performers.It was all too short for me! I could have watched them for hours and hours, but I only got an hour and a half. Sigh.


The drive back was harder, much harder. We managed the first 3 hours pretty well, but by then we were really starting to scrape the bottom of the bowl on things to keep talking about that would keep everyone awake. 

Finally we started playing a 'would you rather' game. It's amazing and a little hilarious that we managed to play that game for the last 2 hours of our trip. Our 'would you rather' ideas got pretty grotesque. I'm blaming in on delirium, brought on from lack of sleep.

Some of our more sane ones were - Would you rather: 
  • Have all of your teeth pulled out or all of your fingernails pulled out?
  • Eat your favorite food every day for the rest of your life or eat different foods that you hate everyday for the rest of your life?
  • Live the worst day of your life everyday or be tortured once a week?
  • Always have to tell the truth or always have to tell a lie?
  • Live forever or die tomorrow?
  • Know the date of your death or the death of all your loved ones?
  • Have to birth sextuplets or never have children?
Keep in mind that you couldn't alter the circumstances, like decide to never have children but assume you could adopt (for example).
 

Like I said... delirious...
 

We eventually made it home and I got ready for sleep in a zombie-like state. When I crawled into my bed at 2:00am, which put me being awake for 21 hours. My bed was absolute glory and I'm pretty sure as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

It was a very fun, happy day :)  Thank you, Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment