Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Poor puppy

Sunday night, my sweet little Aiko threw up a few times. I thought it was probably a random fluke and didn't give it much attention. She seemed fine the rest of that day and Monday morning.

Then the hubs sent me a text around lunch time on Monday that said something to the affect of poop and vomit being everywhere and told me he was dropping Aiko off at the vet and to pick her up on my way home. 


When I arrived at the vet's office after getting off work, they still hadn't gotten around to examining her. Which I found pretty frustrating since my husband had dropped her off 4 hours prior. That meant, my poor sick pup sit in a vet's kennel/cage all afternoon. 

About 45 minutes later, they finally seen her. They tested a few things and Aiko found the entire process to be very unpleasant. I would have too. And nothing major came in the results. They ended up ruling it a sort of flu-like dog virus/bacteria. They gave her a shot that must have been like torture. They told me it was going to burn and when my dog was still screaming 2 minutes after the shot had been given I felt terrible for her. It was crazy. She's always had a shrilly bark, but this seriously just sounded like a scream. So sad. So pitiful. 

They gave me some meds to administer over the next week or so and sent us home. 

She was ridiculously the rest of the night. She was so mopey and lethargic. It wasn't like having my dog around at all. She wasn't herself. 

The next day - Tuesday - I came home to another mess. And this time there was a significant amount of blood in it. I called the vet immediately and he told me he wasn't that concerned. He said it was almost to be expected with her other symptoms and told me to hold tight and just keep a close eye on everything. 

Around 4:00 o'clock this morning, she was making terrible whimpering-like noises that were associated with her breathing and by this evening she'd developed a terrible cough/gag… thing. 

She's quivering and shaking, she has a very pant-like breathing pattern, and she grunts or whimpers like all the time. It's the saddest thing ever. 

How do people tolerate sick children? I will not be able to stand it. I can barely stand my dog being sick like this. It somehow seems so much worse because she can't tell me what's wrong. And even worse when she gets shots and we have to cram a syringe in her mouth everyday to give her medicine - things that are painful to her that she doesn't understand. 

She's hasn't eaten or drank anything since Monday too! :(

She's going back to the vet in the morning! They better fix her!  

No comments:

Post a Comment