Monday, December 19, 2011

New York, Day 4

I feel that we had a true New York experience this morning: being late and rushed. We woke up giving ourselves plenty of time - or so we thought - to get ready, find a way to print out our 911 Memorial passes and then get to the 911 Memorial. However, we epically failed at that. 

It took forever to get the tickets printed. So we were hauling butt down to the subway station. Even sporadically jogging. Cory wasn't very cooperative. We made it to the first train in just enough time. When we finally reached our other stop, I was up and at the doors, so that when they opened I hit the ground running. Almost literally. I knew what train we were headed to and so I followed the signs that lead me in that direction.


Our general rule for subway stations is just follow whoever is in front. And I was definitely in front of Cory, I was like the first person off of that train. 


So when I successfully made it to the train and it was just about to leave I glanced back to check for Cory before hopping on. But, he wasn't behind me. So then I glanced inside the train thinking maybe he'd somehow gotten around me and gotten on the train first, but he wasn't there. I had a brief moment of thinking I should go ahead and get on the train... I'm glad the terribleness of that thought occurred to me before I actually got on the train. 


I watched the doors close and the train ride off without feeling very disappointed. Because missing that train would definitely had made us late. 


I waited for a few seconds thinking Cory couldn't be that far behind me. But, he never came. I started to panic. I had no idea where he could be, and you certainly don't have any cell service down there. I slowly paced back up the stairs looking for him, and leaned against the wall there glancing around frantically. Finally I saw him wandering up the parallel side of stairs.


I ran to him in relief. He thought I'd been behind him, and he'd only noticed that I wasn't for about 10 seconds. So, he hadn't had time to freak out yet. 


I actually had gone to the wrong place. There are always uptown and downtown trains of each one. 


Anyway, we made it on the correct train in just enough time! Whew. When that one stopped, we hit the ground running again. And made it to the 911 Memorial in just enough time to make our scheduled time!


The Memorial was very cool. I think it'd have been prettier at night because they light them up. Plus, all of the trees where dead. But, it was still nice. There were giant ice chunks floating in the centers of them. 


When we left there we went to a little cafe. It was decent food, which was exciting to me. I'm having a hard time finding good food here. I know right? That concept seems crazy. We're in New York! There should be tons of good food! We're just not finding it. I mean, it hasn't been terrible, but definitely mediocre. 


Then we headed to the Statue of Liberty journey. Between all the insane waiting time for that adventure, those two things were pretty much the only things we had time for today. We got to the Liberty Island line at like 1:30pm. We arrived back from Liberty Island at like 5:00pm.


It was a sight to see though. Oy, but so cold. Especially by the water! So much colder by the water. The statue was closed, so we couldn't go up in it, which I personally didn't mind. But, we got to walk around it and take pictures. Plus, on the ferry ride back the sun was just setting and I got some real pretty pictures of the Statue of Liberty in the sunset! 


We went on a journey to find more food and ended up eating at the Shake Shack. They did have amazing burgers, but we had to eat them outside. [insert complaint about coldness here] However, they did have these cool little fire, lamp things that made it bearable. 


We decided to go back to the FOA Schwarz toy store, because it's so awesome ;)  Looked around in there and purchased some more candy. I know have a ridiculous amount of candy. Ridiculous.


Cory's been wanting to stop at this little magic shop since he saw it. He finally got to go in there on the way back to the hotel. 


I was glad to get back in our room earlier this evening, it gave us time to chillax and halfway plan out our last few days here. Let's see if we can squeeze everything else in in the next 2 days!


Randomness:

  • Dude, I swear, the birds here are mutants. They are so huge it's ridiculous! Also, waay too comfortable around humans. I had an Aiko-sized pigeon try to land on my head today!
  • It was warmer today, though 32 degrees still isn't my idea of warm.
  • I'm pretty sure Cory and I were the only English as a first language speakers at Liberty Island. What's up with that? Trying to get someone to understand I wanted them to take our picture was like a 5 minute ordeal.
  • I wanted to buy our dog a toy at the toy store and Cory wouldn't let me. At least Aunt Hollie got her Andy's today ;)
  • We witnessed a mystery enormous bird today. I have no idea what it was, it sort of looked like a turkey... and a peacock... and... something else. Mystery bird. 
  • There are frequently pretty interesting subway performances by people who want money from you, Cory made the comment today about the lazy ones who don't perform and just ask you for money, "could at least sing poorly and then you could pay them to shut up." A blind man - God love his heart - who was a terrible singer got onto the next train... and Cory gave him money...

No comments:

Post a Comment