Thursday, December 22, 2011

New York, Day 6

Last night was insane, we didn't get back to the hotel until later and then we had to start packing up all of our stuff. Why does it seem like everything fits in there just fine when you leave the house, but trying to get it to all fit back into your bags is a real challenge? It's not like we even purchased a lot of things. A few shirts, a mug, and some candy. Seriously. It was frustrating. 

Plus, we had to fill out a bunch of post cards to send off to some people. I know, I know, we should have done that sooner. Sunk cost (the hubby's favorite phrase in the world).


So, we didn't get laid down until like 1:30am. Which totally sucked, because we really did need to get up early. 


We slept until about 9:00am. Getting ready seemed like a stressful thing, because I had to get myself ready, while cleaning everything up. Then checking the room at least 10 times to make sure we didn't leave anything. 


The hotel checked our bags for us, since check out was at noon and we weren't using their shuttle service until 4:00pm. 


We got some breakfast from the little diner in the hotel, I wish we had discovered it sooner, their food is pretty good. 


Finally, we were off to MoMA. Museum of Modern Art. We didn't get there until a little after 11:00. The bag/coat check line was ridiculous! And you had to check your bag. We were in that line for an hour! I was so irritated. I was irritated from the start too, because we purchased like a combo ticket thing for Top of the Rock and MoMA. Once we were already in the coat check line a worker person noticed our tickets and told us we'd have to go exchange them. Would have been good to know up front. Why do you sell combo tickets then? 


Not just that, but he told us that while we did that he would hold our spot in line. False. He 'held' our spot in line for about 5 minutes and and then came and told us, "Sorry, guys, I can't hold your spot in line, but don't worry the line will move fast." 


I seriously wanted to slap him in the mouth. I know that's an overreaction, but if we had known that, then one of us would have continued standing in line while the other went and exchanged our already purchased tickets. That little ordeal set us back by about another half hour. 


But, we did get to see everything we wanted to in the museum. As someone who loves art, many forms of it, I didn't get most of the art that was there. I don't know, it just wasn't speaking to me. Most of it I just found straight up weird. However, there were pieces that I thought were absolutely amazing too. So, maybe it balanced out. I did enjoy it. I guess that's what counts. 


When we left there we walked around Time Square for just a bit, and then we had to grab a hotdog off one of the little stands. Had to. It was alright. Not all it's hyped up to be - in my opinion. Though, most of New York seemed that way to me (don't freak out, just my opinion). 


Which brings me to my already used spill: New York is a beautiful city, especially at night. So, I'm not sure if it was the weather (it was sooo cold!), or the seriously aggressive/rude people (for real, I thought about hugging the 2 people that actually apologized for nearly knocking me down, and the one girl who brought us Cory's hat that we left on a sub... I stared, jaw gaping, at her for several seconds before I could thank her), or really what... but this just doesn't make my best vacations list. Then, again, could I really have hoped for it to compare to my Hawaii vacation? 


I did enjoy myself. I did. I don't want it to seem like I didn't, but honestly, the enjoyable versus the annoying seems equal right now. I think I'll enjoy this vacation a lot more in hindsight. The sights were amazing, and I got to do and see a lot of things that I count as experiences everyone should have. I just don't know if I'll ever got back ;)'  And if I do... it definitely won't be in the winter!


Anyway, got sidetracked. After our hotdogs, it was time to head back to the hotel. *sigh* The week went by so quickly! Every single day flew by! Oh, I was so ready to sleep in my bed and see my baby though!


The hotel van driver was so much better than that cab driver. I was dreading the ride to the airport so bad, because I'd gotten so sick on the way from the airport to the hotel. Thankfully, I did not get sick. I got into a cab one time, and that was enough for me. I prefer walking in the freezing cold drizzle (and I did) than taking a cab.


The security lines at the airport were insane. Apparently unusually so. We heard several frequent fliers comment on this fact. Geez. It was so chaotic that it made me feel panicked and stressed.


We arrived in plenty of time though, so it was all good. Even once past security we got to browse through some of the shops and eat some food. A lot of the flights were delayed by hours, so we were blessed to have ours leave on time (or close enough, it was about 10 minutes delayed).


The flight back wasn't near as bad either. Not near as bumpy or wobbly. The hubs and I played Ticket to Ride and worked out our Christmas plans. So maybe the preoccupation helped with me not feeling sick too. I don't know.


The drive back home seemed forever long though. I was just so ready to be home at that point! When we pulled into the carport we both jumped out of the car running to the door (to get to Aiko first - yeah... not kidding). I won.


I gave her her New York bear and she loves it! We carried all the bags in and left them by the door and after chatting with my sis for a bit and showering... I'm finally ready to sleep in my own bed! And hopefully for a long time! I'm so exhausted!


Randomness:

  • Along with everyone else, even employees at places seem just... rude to me. Like at the museum, the employees there were just so curt, and it seemed like everything they said was said with attitude and/or annoyance.
  • Several pieces of the art were a little... risqué... and there was like a school of smaller children there. 
  • I heard a girl on the plane say, "It's just embarrassing, people are asking me where I'm going for my Christmas break and I have to tell them Missouri." In that moment... after a week in her state... I wanted to defend my own - not something I'd usually be inspired to do, but today... today, I was happy to be back in Missouri. 
  • Aiko did get a weeks worth of kisses when I got home. 
  • Driving was weird. I hadn't driven in like a week. Also, I had to keep reminding myself that I had to actually pay attention with the vehicle was moving, instead of getting to look around. Yeah... it's been a long day...
  • I used an airplane bathroom for the first time. The coffee before the ride wasn't a good idea. They are as tiny as they're made out to be (if not tinier!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment