Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I can't believe I forgot to blog about this...

So last Wednesday we discovered that our ceiling in the living room at our old house had collapsed. We called up our families (our cry for help) and they agreed to come fix it. 

On Thursday C's parents came with a truck to help us clean up and haul everything off and on Friday my family came up to help us put the new ceiling up.

When Cs parents arrived we spent a long time scraping off the rest of the plaster that was on the ceiling. It was not fun. I thought I was going to have an asthma attack and die before it got done. Every time I'd scrap a piece off dust would go everywhere. 

The entire house looked as though it were in a fog. And now not only do I have to finish cleaning up the floor (somehow) but I also am going to have to clean the WHOLE house. It did end up making me very sick. 

We decided to take a break after a couple of hours, and by we I really mean them because I wasn't much help. I honestly couldn't be in the house very long at all. C had left to go and get some more tools and supplies for us. 

So me and the in-laws sat out on the porch. There is always better entertainment out there that anything on tv.

The neighborhood is heavily populated with people, who with all honesty, just aren't the best of people. There were about 20 kids out in the middle of the street ranging in age from about 10 years old to about 20 years old. And they got the bright idea that it'd be fun to have a firecracker war. They start out just shooting bottle rockets at each other (big deal, I know, I did that a few times as a kid myself), but then some of them got ticked off and busted out the artillery shells. [sigh] 

That ticked off a couple of mommies who came out screaming and a yelling at the top of their lungs as though their child played no role in the progression of the firecracker war at all. 

The ticked off mommies started pointing fingers at who had started it. Well, that ticked off the only other white folk on the block... and they busted out a gun! 

Without hesitation he brought out a gun, aimed, and fired it twice. To be honest, I have no idea how someone wasn't actually shot. There were so many people in the street. I kid you not, within minutes, there were 10 (yes, 10) cop cars over there. About 5 minutes after, two news crews showed up.

At some point, to add to the circus, a lady came walking down the street screaming (screaming), "All you f****** white peoples don't wanna do anythings but call the f****** cops and they ain't gonna do a f****** thang to me anyways..." 

Since she was in front of my house, looking at us (the only other 'white people') I fired off with, "Look at you! Walking down the street, running that mouth as loud as you can." 

She turned to look at me so I continued my vent, "You like to act like I owe you something because of the way life was generations ago, don't you? I don't owe you anything. The name and stereotypes that your race face, is a name that it's made for itself. Exhibit A." I gestured around at the chaos. 

She stared at me for too long, then shook her head and waved me off while walking away. I got called every name in the book, but I got called them from a mouthy woman walking away from me.

Ah, people. Amiright?

No comments:

Post a Comment