Saturday, July 4, 2009

Jehovah Witness

During finals week, one night I was up until 1 o'clock in the morning and up again by 6:00am to study for an 8 o'clock final. I had been stressed about it and as a result of my preparation for it, I was exhausted. 

We I arrived back home from taking the test, there was a knock on the door. I made the mistake of not peeking first and answered the door. It was a couple of Jehovah Witnesses.

I was already irritable and didn't want to argue or listen to them, so I just took the pamphlet and shut the door. 

A few weeks later, the same Jehovah Witnesses came back. This time I was not tired. I opened the door and the lady says, "Hi there, we were wondering if it was a good time for us to come in and talk with you and go through the book that we left with you last time." 

I in a polite tone said, "No, thank you." 

She continued to persist and pull out her bible and start reading me passages. I abruptly interrupted her with, "Look, I can actually admire your integrity to go through random neighborhoods and knock on people's doors and harass them about your religious beliefs. Even t hough you probably get turned down most of the time. The thing is, you aren't a witness by forcing your beliefs on others. Or by knocking on doors and giving your perspective of scripture. You're a witness by the way you live your life. Tell me something, if I came knocking on your door asking you to invite me into your house so that I you could sit and listen about my religious beliefs and how correct they are, would you do that?" 

Startled by my outburst neither of them responded. 

So I told them, "You are quite welcome to come inside if you'd like, but if you do we're going to talk about my spiritual beliefs and only that." 

They looked at each other and the lady started to say something twice, but neither did. 

It was the first time I'd ever ran off a Jehovah Witness. 

What reminded me of this story was this morning I caught a glimpse of someone walking across the yard, but before anything could happen, C jerked me down and turned off the lights while dragging me to hide in the bathroom. [sigh] 

He's not a confrontational kind of guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment