Thursday, June 28, 2012

snap crackle pop

I broke down and decided to try out Plan B. 

Plan B was to see a Chiropractor. 

My husband has been against this. He sarcastically refers to chiropractors as "witch doctors." 

Naturally, having never gone and because of highly mixed reviews, I was very apprehensive about seeing one. I did a lot of research and reading. My next action was to google for reviews on which doctor to choose. 

My BFF and sis-in-law who now lives in Arizona started seeing one and loved it. Then, I have a friend locally who started going earlier in the year and highly recommended the chiropractor she was seeing. 

I figured my best bet was to go with someone that I had a personal reference for. Also, the guy was actually on my list from the reviews I'd found anyway. 

So, yesterday I went and visited Dr. Wayland with Kessinger Specific Chiropractic. I was so nervous and more than a little skeptical. 

He made it a very easy introduction to his practice. He's pretty young, not much older than me. He is such a nice person, very friendly, epic bedside manner. He was also very upfront and made sure I understood everything and he got really clear objectives from me - about what I expected to gain from this. He talked a lot about the basics of what he does and how it may improve my specific situation. It all made sense to me. 

He looked at my x-rays from when I'd first broken my pelvis and after a few other short tests and evaluation and was certain that my SI joint was jacked up. Along with my pelvis and a few other areas on my spine. Including a bulging disk prediction which was dead-on that I hadn't even mentioned to him yet! 

I've had back problems for a while. Even before my pelvis/lower back injury. I got hurt playing basketball in high school which is what caused the bulging disks in my back. So, I'm getting him that MRI report as well. 

He was very confident he could help me and went into great depth to explain how. 

Since I was so nervous, he did very minor adjustments on me that first day. 

Mainly, just a really deep massage to the SI joint, which admittedly was a little awkward. Lol. But, he's very professional. And he's a Christian. And he just got married. Haha. 

Then he did a quick pop on my lower lumbar and then while laying on my stomach, when he was sort of standing over me, he got his hand into my side - like really sitting on my hip bone - and thrust it back two quick times. I felt it pop… and immediately my SI join pain eased. 

I was amazed. Witch doctor or not… I'll take this kind of magic! 

I couldn't believe that after a month and a half of discomfort ranging from mild to moderate it was gone. 

However, with that came a very unfamiliar kind of soreness. It was strange. He told me to take it easy and ice it frequently. 

When I woke up this morning the pain was back but not as strong. I was much eager to return but also very nervous for my first 'real' adjustment - as he'd put it. 

The point of my adjustments is to reset my pelvis and decrease inflammation in my SI joint. Along with a few that's he's eventually going to get to in my neck and lower back. 

He had me lay on my right side and stretch out my right leg as far as I could, and then he bent my left leg up all the way and pulled my left knee out from the rest of my body (sort of forward - from my perspective). Then, he stood over me and lifted his leg up to rest his knee on my bent knee, to make sure my legs didn't move. I was immediately nervous. He told me to try and relax. He told me to look at a specific spot on the wall. He put his left hand firmly on my shoulder and wrapped his other around my left hip bone (and they don't mess around, he gets in there and gets it on your bone). Then, due to my tense nervousness he waited for an unpredictable amount of time and with one quick - very quick - thrust he pulled my hip bone toward him while twisting my upper body backward. 

I felt the series of pops go all the way through to my other hip bone and even some in my lower back. And for a very short instance I did wonder if he'd broken me. Lol. I know that sounds painful, and it was intense, but at the same time it felt so good! 

He did the same thing with the other side and it popped even more. He had me roll over and did a few on my lower back and then put me on this little bed that massages you - more or less. 

I was so sore. Immediately. That same new, unfamiliar soreness. However, again, the SI joint pain was relieved. 

He looked at me, chuckled and said, "I know that had to hurt some. You're gonna want to ice that."  He also explained that I can expect a fair degree of discomfort through this resetting process. I'm not exactly just the norm. He's actually working with a broken/displaced bone reset, instead of just simpler adjustments. And my pelvis does hurt a little. Not bad though. And my tailbone. 

He seems very excited about being able to 'fix' me and seems very confident that he can. 

I can't do any exercising at all and I'm not suppose to lift anything heavier than 15 pounds. 

He said we're moving bones and muscles. The problem is until they firm back up in the correct location, they're going to slip back into their old setting. That's why he sees you several times right in a row in the beginning. And then you go down to once a week… and eventually go on maintenance, which can be as sparse as once a year to nothing at all unless you feel you need it. 

I'm going to do these first 5 visits and see how it goes, but as of right now, I'm totally for this! 

But, oh, so sore tonight! My body feels like icy hot. It's really a good kind of hurt - if that makes sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment