Wednesday, June 13, 2012

stupid stone

Saturday was a busy day, I'd finally finished the upstairs and on Sunday we were having a dinner party to show it off. Aiko had woken us up early for a Saturday, shortly after 7am and I'd been running about all day making sure my house was immaculate and getting / changing up some last minute things. Finally I got a break around dinner time. And then the hubs and I watched tv until we were ready for bed. I went off to bed before him at around 11:30pm. I had my contacts out, medicine taken, night guard in and was already snuggled into my comfy comforter with the pup and the lights out ready for sleep. That's when the hubs stumbled up the stairs into the bathroom and announced that he thought his kidney was acting up. 

All speculation vanished when within just a few more short minutes he was writhing in the agony on the floor. He hit the floor like immediately too. It freaked me out. 

I've witness people in a lot of different kinds of pain: broken bones, surgeries, pulled muscles, injured backs, grief-filled, heart break… but this kind of agony… was the kind of pain I'd never see anyone ever be in. And it was my husband. It broke my heart - made even heavier by the fact that there wasn't anything I could do to help. 

We're rapidly approaching tmi territory - just so ya know. 

I'd read that getting into a hot tub or into water as hot as you could tolerate can help. 

So as my husband continued thrashing and moaning in pain I suggested it and started running a hot bath. He couldn't even stand up right, so I helped him more or less crawl into the bathroom and get in the water. 

The sharp stabs of pain would come frequently and cause seizure-like convulsions to run through him. 

It was the most pitiful thing I've ever witnessed in my life. 

That's about when the vomiting started. The violent heaves that resulted in his intense vomiting. I don't know how he stood it. 

We'd tried given him the pain medicine, but he threw it up. Twice. So, then I tried giving him the nausea / vomiting medicine and he threw it up. 

He couldn't keep any fluids or any medicine down at all. 

And he just kept hollering and wallowing in pain. A few times he whimpered about how he couldn't do this. 

I cried for him several times. 

I couldn't stand it. 

I would fetch heat packs and cool wash cloths trying to do what I could. When he would get too hot from the heat packs he would almost always vomit before he could cool back down. Once, he didn't even make it to bathroom in time. 

And, I thought the first vomit I ever cleaned up would be my kids. *shrug* 

He started becoming so lethargic. His color was a color I'd never seen on a person before. Pale in the extreme and somehow an actual green / olive color too. He barely had enough energy to throw up. And I don't know how his body was still having him throw up anyway. He been violently sick at least 8 times. 

I cleaned him up and dressed him and made him go to the ER. I thought he might be dying, I'd never seen anyone be like this.  

Though we knew the pain was from a kidney stone, I was becoming more nervous with his growing dehydration and fatigue. Also, I was worried the stone might be too big for him to pass and really messing with his kidney tissue and / or function or something. 

I mean, his last stone had been 4-5mm, which is about the largest a person can pass and his pain was not even in the same realm as this. 

I had to half carry him out to the car - it's a good thing he's small ;) - as he had no energy left and the pain had him doubling over frequently making it unable for him to stand upright. He still fidgeted with the pain stabs and still moaned a whole lot. 

When we got to the ER, I had to half carry him again through the doors. The lady behind the desk looked at him and picked up her phone and said they'd need a room quickly. I was thankful for that. She checked us in quickly. 

He threw up again as soon as we got there - it's about 3:00am at this point - and they got him back into a room within 5 minutes. 

They started an IV immediately and got some fluids going in him as well as some nausea / vomiting medicine. They quickly got the ok from the doc and then gave him pain meds too. 

I was glad he was getting some medicine in him that he couldn't throw up and some fluids. 

Within a half hour of getting the medicine and fluids his thrashing and yelling slowed, and by the one hour mark post medicine he had finally fallen asleep. 

I'd been praying for God to just give him unconsciousness. I had thought that if he was at least asleep maybe he wouldn't feel the pain. Or be aware of it anyway. 

I just sat there on the edge of his bed holding his hands and rubbing his hair and face. I know it was just a kidney stone attack, but still. It scared the crap out of me. While I watched him, somehow not completely peaceful even in sleep, I couldn't help but consider how important this man is to me. How important he is to my life. 

Then, I was quite humbled by God. Because, I thought of the terrible night we'd had and knew that it could always be so much worse. I know that people all over the world suffer so many terrible things in their lives. That they have so many nights worse than the one we were having. All of those people have been added to my permanent prayer list.  

So, then, I had to spend the next half hour thanking God for all the amazing blessings He's poured into my life. 

The doc came in to take the hubs back for his CT Scan. While he was gone I paced the small room feeling anxious to be away from him and felt too much relief - considering they'd just taken him for tests - when they wheeled him back into the room about 20 minutes later.  

He was kind of awake, but not really. And I was thanking the good Lord for those pain meds. 

He looked at me and thanked me in a hoarse, weak, scratchy voice. I shook my head at him and kissed his forehead. Then he told me that he thought he was going to die, and that that had been the worst thing ever in his life. I laid beside him and hugged him and told him that he was silly to think that he could ever leave me, especially because of a ridiculously tiny stone in his kidney. 

Of course, it was a kidney stone. Only 2mm the doc said. We were in disbelief as the other he passed had been - as mentioned before - a 4-5mm stone and not caused this much havoc. He said it may have gotten stuck, but was moving fine and should drop into his bladder soon. And that there's going to be one remaining in his right kidney after this one that's 3mm. 

Cory still wasn't close to his regular color, and God love his heart he looked terrible. But, we got to come home. We arrived back home at about 6:15am and both went straight to bed. I'd been away for about 23 hours. Not just a regular 23 hours either, I'd had a busy going-going-going day anyway. I was wiped out. I made sure the hubs was going to fall asleep before I let myself - and he did. 

I slept heavily, but not as long I wanted too. I woke up at 1:00pm. To a better looking hubby sitting on the edge of the bed beside me. 

He was really sore and his throat hurt a lot from all the throwing up, but the stone had dropped - he could tell. 

And he did pass it later that day. Whew.

p.s. Way to ruin a dinner party, Cory. Geez. Dramatic much?  ;-)'  

<3 you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment