Friday, October 9, 2009

More than you ever want to know about my mucous

Sinus infections are the worst. There is constant pressure in your face, it causes headaches, it causes sore throats, it makes it hard to breath, and often makes it hard to sleep. 

They completely and totally suck. I've had much fewer sinus infections since I was a kid, perhaps that's why I'm such a baby over it though. I still have those few really bad ones that hit 3-4 times a year. And I'm miserable.

My biggest complaint would be the sore throat. I cannot stand a sore throat. I take antibiotics with these sometimes. I don't like taking antibiotics unless I really really need to though. Mostly, I just to over the counter stuff and tough it out. 

This infection is being relentless. My snot is too many colors (some more worrisome than others) and so thick, I can barely get any movement in there at all. I finally took some stuff that knocked me out. Then used a Neti Pot for the first time. I think it helped quite a lot. It stung a little, but that probably had much more to do with my sinus cavities being raw with infection for 5 days than the solution itself. Plus, it somehow managed to push out a gross amount of that colorful snot. So, worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Three or four times a year... That sounds kinda high... I'd get BAD infections (like yours is now) that often and I started getting them about once a month for a year and had to have septoplasty (sinus surgery where they "rebuild" and correct your septum wall in your nose).. You should get that checked out maybe.. :) I still get them occasionally (like twice a year) but they are definitely not as bad as they used to be (or the way yours are now).. I don't know if you'd think it was worth it or not.. for the surgery costs that is, but it was for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess 3-4 times a year is a little high. I use to get them every month though and they'd last for like 7-14 days...so like have the month. I seriously spent like half of every year with this crazy sinus infection. It sucked. Maybe I do need the surgery. My brother and sister both had it done. I guess it worked pretty well with my brother, but didn't do anything for my sister. So...it seems like mere chance that it may or may not work.

    ReplyDelete