Saturday, August 7, 2010

Check up

So... the IV was suppose to come out on Thursday. Then, it was suppose to come out on Friday. Now, it's Saturday and it's still in!! I think they're just tricking me and their goal is to leave it in forever. My mother-in-law had to come up and start a new one on Thursday. The one in my right hand came out. At least it's in my left hand now. I had to be stuck 3 more times though :(  So... after today's lab work... I'm up to being stuck... 12 times this month. Pin cushion.

Went back to the doc this morning for some more blood work, x-rays and such. My WBC is apparently quite high. Caused a major freak out. They're not really sure why. Usually it's an indicator of infection, which has been my concern from the get-go. I mean, I haven't had any asthma symptoms in like 3 years and I didn't get sick with all of this until the episode that I had in Hawaii... and I've been sick pretty much since then. I've been convinced all along I picked up something over there. 

However, my doc is a little old - and a little old fashioned when it comes to my symptoms, because he's been treating me for 'asthma' since I was 2-years-old - and I think he gets stuck on the steroid treatments. And steroids are like poison to my body. I can't really explain how crappy I have felt this week just because I'm receiving such high doses of them. 

So today, when the WBC was so high I basically just told him I didn't want him pumping me full of steroids if it wasn't what I needed. He gave me an elaborate explanation about how the infected bronchial tubes and lung inflammation can also cause high WBC. I'm not convinced. 

Nonetheless, I have no insurance and am now being referred to a lung specialist here in Cape. I suppose the office visit will be doable, just hoping the specialist doesn't need to run a bunch of money-sucking tests to figure out how to get rid of all this. We shall see. 

Randomness:
  • So... I've been working vigorously still on getting the professional liability insurance stuff going for FS (I have officially contacted 5 insurance places - ridiculous) with no luck. Then, out of no where... today I get a letter in the mail and I have an interview for a State job!! I hear it usually takes months and months to hear back from the state on jobs. So I'm quite excited. Mainly because of all the AMAZING benefits, tons of vacation days, sick days and a ridiculous amount of paid holidays. The steady Monday-Friday 8-5 sounds pretty awesome as well, with weekends off of course. And the pay is not too shabby. I'm nervous though! I'm a newbie and I'm fresh out of college. But, I have high hopes. I'd love for this to work out. If not, I'll carry on with my FS journey. It is in Scott county area for now though. Not ideal, but doable. I mean, I from the boonies. It took me 35 minutes to drive to school everyday and 30 minutes to the closest Walmart. Not to mention for my first 2 years of college I went to the Sikeston campus. I've just gotten a little spoiled over the last few years with it only taking me 15 minutes to get to anywhere I'm going. Plus, I'm a believer that if I just get my foot in the door it'll open up options for me later. Apparently once you get on with the State it's quite hard to lose your job - ridiculous job security is another perk... or so I hear (my father-in-law works for the state and my aunt... ).

No comments:

Post a Comment