Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Recover must be around the corner...

So... I've been sick with all these stupid asthma symptoms plus enduring all the side effects of the medicine. Then last week I had a horrible sore throat and crazy, random sinus troubles. 

Last night after hanging out with some friends I was feeling a little blah and my pelvic area was sort of hurting. More in the way of like my bladder instead of my pelvis. But, I brushed it off. Then when I got home and finally got to pee (I had to pee really bad) it was not a pleasant experience. Again, I only gave it brief attention and brushed it off. 

I finally lay down to go to sleep and I woke up like 5 times to have to go pee. Except for every time I tried to go I couldn't and I was in extreme discomfort. So this morning when I woke up and could finally go pee the extreme discomfort followed by the actual appearance of my urine gave me no doubt that I had a UTI (urinary tract infection). And I'll leave it at that... I could give you some graphic, gross details about my pee that would probably make you want to vomit.

I didn't want to drive all the way to the Bluff to see the doctor just for him to tell me something I already knew. So... I found out that Target has some UTI home testing strips for like $10. I was happy. So I got some of those, came home and peed on one. And not surprisingly my little test strip was on the highest level of both things it was testing for. 

The test strip will pick up two things: Leokocyte (white blood cells in the urine) and Nitrite (bacteria and/or protein in the urine). Then there was like this little color chart to compare your pee stick to for determining how 'bad' it was. For the Leokocytes there was: Tan (negative), light purple (a trace of), a medium purple (some), purple, and dark purple (severe). For the Nitrite there was: Tan (negative), light pink, medium pink, pink, and hot pink (using the same scale of severity). The two colors on my pee stick were dark purple and hot pink. Yay. Not. Can't say I was surprised at all. I knew it was bad.

Then, I was able to just call my doc and tell him and he called me in the magical medicine to make me better. I don't even know how many meds I'm up to taking now. What, with the steroids, calcium to balance the steroids, my daily multivitamin, the magical cranberry vitamins and now an antibiotic and something else for the discomfort. Hmmm... I guess that's six. Although I can take 6 cranberry vitamins in one day... and today I have embraced that. 

I was hurting so bad this morning I could barley move. It literally hurt to move. The constant discomfort has already gotten better though. Now it's just mainly excruciatingly painful to pee. It's so weird too. This is usually how it happens to me though. I get UTIs about once a year. The doc always says for it to be as bad as it is by the time I come in that I've probably had the infection for a week or longer. But, the weird thing is that I don't experience any discomfort at all. It's quite literally like I just wake up with a full blown UTI. I usually have some slight discomfort the night before and then the next morning going pee makes me want to cry. It sucks. I wish my body would pick up on it before it go so bad.

I see the lung specialist this Friday. 

 
I'm believing that a full recovery is forth coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment