So... yesterday was our 8 year anniversary. It was also the day I had all four wisdom teeth removed surgically. It was without doubt the weirdest thing of my whole life.
I've never been put to sleep before or had any sort of surgical procedure done. So I was very nervous. The alarm went off at 8am and I reluctantly dressed, straightened my hair, and brushed my teeth... twice. A clean mouth helps prevent infection - or so I was told.
We arrived at the surgeons office at 9:00am. I was pretty much immediately taken back. I was hooked up to a bunch of monitors and a nurse started an IV - which, would you believe she got it in the first stick?! I can't even remember the last time that happened. Once the IV was in they started running a bag of fluids through me. It was only a few minutes later that I started freaking out and telling Cory to get me out of there.
I quickly calmed down though. And right after that was when the surgeon came in and they were making Cory leave. It made me sad. I didn't want him to leave. The surgeon asked me how I was feeling. I only stared at him blankly with what I imagined looked like terror to him, because he quickly said, "You have nothing to be worried about. We're going to give you some medicine, you'll go to sleep and then you'll wake up with gauze in your mouth. You won't feel a thing."
Once Cory was out of the room, he picked a few syringes and walked over to me and stuck one of them into the IV line. "Alright, Tessa, are you ready to go to sleep?" he asked. I answered, "No."
He chuckled slightly and said, "Well, we're going to help you go to sleep now."
I saw him push the solution into the IV line and thought to myself, "I wonder how long I can try to stay awake." That was a joke. My body immediately felt all sorts of weird sensations and then without knowing when it happened, I was out.
I feel like I was vaguely aware that my mouth was being worked on and I swear I could hear them talking. Though, that could have been my subconscious being creative - it does that sometimes. I couldn't really make out anything that was happening and I didn't feel anything, but it was just like I was aware of it.
Then, as predicted by the doctor I woke up with gauze in my mouth and a nurse calling my name. She was asking me if I wanted a soda. This seemed weird to me. When my eyes finally opened and I just stared at her dazed. I finally shook my head no. I remember looking over to my left and Cory standing there... I'm pretty sure he was laughing at me.
The next thing that I really remember is Cory waking me up for the second time once we were back home (apparently). I don't remember the car ride home. I don't remember coming into the house. I don't remember getting into my own bed. Nothing. I was out. No worries though, the husband has a video as proof of my hilariousness. I don't know what he was thinking, he's having his removed on November 7th. Plus, they gave me the good stuff: Oxycodone. I was bound to be out of it with the meds to put me to sleep and then downing an Oxycodone. I've never been one to take a lot of pain pills or anything. But that crap is like magic. I'm out again within minutes of taking it. Thus, I pretty much slept the whole day yesterday. I woke up from like 6:00-9:00 because the hubs was making me eat something, I hadn't eaten or drank since like 9 o'clock Thursday night. I had some soup that I didn't have to chew and then ate some pudding.
Yeah... I'm not suppose to eat anything hot, cold or crunchy?! So what am I suppose to eat? Pudding, jello, soup, and mashed potatoes? And what? At room temperature? Lame.
I slept pretty well last night and took my last gauze set out at like 1:00am as the bleeding had pretty much stopped.
I woke up at like 8:30 this morning and I can't explain how bad my face hurts. All of it, from the neck up. I have a pounding headache, my jaws hurt so bad that it even hurts for them to be open enough to talk, it hurts to swallow, my cheeks are swollen horribly, my lips hurt, my chin hurts, the entire inside of my mouth hurts: tongue, inner cheeks, other teeth, giant holes where wisdom teeth once were. Bleh. Not fun. And he didn't stitch it!
I wish he would have. I'm terrified of getting a dry socket. I've heard way too many horror stories. But, he said my teeth were straight and he didn't even have to drill, he just had to cut and pull. That still doesn't make sense for why he wouldn't have stitched them. Plus, my whole face hurts so bad today, I'm not sure I'd notice a dry socket. Though, people who've had them would beg to differ I'm sure. I'm praying hard for a quick, easy recovery and no dry sockets! Say a prayer for me if you think of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment