Sunday, January 9, 2011

Business stuff

Yesterday we were at the studio all day. We finally finished the floors. I'm so excited to have that done. It looks amazing. I'm in love with the little space. It isn't large, but we don't really anticipate a lot of shoots indoors anyway. Being there makes me all giddy. This is really happening and with each step we take that sinks in a little more.

The studio is basically done. We've moved in all of our equipment and stuff, so now we just have to get it all situated the way we want it in there.

They have also finally finished the website layout - or nearly finished it. It looks amazing. The website has been a difficult one. We're all so picky. I'm so glad my husband is a computer genius! And has a nice circle of friends and resources to help make this possible.

We've all spent a lot of time looking at tons of photography websites. To figure out their styles, and to contribute a list of things we know we did not want as well as some inspirations for things that we would want.

I can't stand flashy websites that are cluttered. I wanted simple, elegant, and clean. I don't want to smoother it with photos either. It's only suppose to be a taste of our work. And I wanted it to be very user-friendly. I don't want anyone getting lost or confused on the site. I want all of our contact and pricing info on the site as well. I hate reviewing a product online and feeling like I have to call to find out pricing and such. I want to make it as easy for the client as I possibly can.

Between all of my requests and my co-owners it's amazing we managed to complete this task. I'm very blunt. I've been blunt with Cory and I've been blunt with the designer. I understand that they're building the house, but they're building it for me... and so I get to paint it ;)  Sometimes putting a technological and artistic mind together for compromising, isn't the best thing.

I've heard people make comments about the types of things that "if couples make it through ___, then they'll be together forever." Some of those 'blanks' have ranged from completing school, building houses together, having children, etc. However, I'm convinced that if two people can build a business together... they can make it through anything. Cory and I haven't ever bickered and fought as much as we have since this business stuff started. I guess it's true what they say, about never going into business with someone you like if you want to keep liking them. Haha. Nah, I don't really believe that... but I can see why others might. I'm fortunate enough to be with a team of people I can be very upfront and honest with without constantly thinking I'm hurting someone's feeling or making them angry.  We're not ever mean to each other, but we all have been very... honest. Lol.

And it's never been a one-upper sort of thing either. I genuinely appreciate all of B's work and he's a great photographer. I'm lucky to get to work with him and learn from him. And he's constantly complimenting my stuff too. We work very well with each other already. I think we all have a very promising future together.

Anyway... this week we should be able to add the bulk of our content to the website! By next week we should have a fully functioning site!

Once the site is ready, bring on the marketing. I'll be a marketing fool, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment