Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Smoke-Free

This is the biggest political difference that me and my husband have: 'public' smoking.

I'm a hard-core Libertarian. I believe in freedom and exactly freedom. Simply put, I believe everyone should mind their own business. I believe that if people aren't endangering someone else's life, liberty, or property then they should get to live however they choose. I believe that people should be allowed to make the bad choices that even 'we' don't agree with - so long as they abide by the previously stated standards.

Having said all of that, I believe public smoking should be ban. Because, your bad smoking habits are a threat to my health, and quite frankly to my life. I'm a severe asthmatic, I've nearly lost my life to this disease several times. I believe that I should be able to go to a public location/restaurant and enjoy whatever product/service they're selling without having to breathe in second-hand smoke.

Now, by 'public' I mean:
  • Of or concerning the people as a whole
  • Open to or shared by the people of an area or country
  • Of or provided by the government
  • Of or involved in the affairs of the community
  • Done, perceived, or existing in open view
This is the foundation of mine and the hub's difference on this issue. The definition of 'public' apparently isn't the same to the both of us. He believes that every foundation not owned by the government is private. Thus, they have the authority to allow smoking within their entity. I disagree, I believe if you're open to the public, then you are public. If you don't require an invitation or membership you are public! Note: bullets listed above! And, so, I believe if you are a public business then you should not permit smoking - since smoking does affect the health of many surrounding individuals and not only the individual engaging in it.

If you want to open a private foundation and require memberships and/or invite all your smoking friends over, whatever. If you want to smoke in your home and your vehicle, whatever. Those do not affect me. That's a poor choice that you're making; however, it only affects your health/life. When you take that bad habit into public, is when I have an issue with it. I shouldn't be subjected to having my health endangered just because I'm choosing to visit a location open to the public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment