I really hate snakes. I know that most people do, probably because of tainted images due to biblical relevance and superstitions or whatever. I'm guilty of being one of those people.
They just creep me out.
Today, I let Aiko out to go potty around 4 o'clock. She was acting so strange. She had stopped at the bottom stair and just stared - at seemingly nothing - for like 5 minutes. I finally just called her back inside.
When Cory got home and after we'd eaten dinner, we decided to go check on our garden. Near the edge closest to the deck stairs was a mutant looking garter snake. No wonder Aiko had refused to go potty. It was pretty large - especially for a garter snake. It's head was deformed by the smaller critter it was still digesting, and whatever it had been still had limbs hanging out of the snakes mouth.
I wanted to kill it. Cory refused to let me.
"Why do you just want to kill everything. He's not hurting anyone." Cory defended.
"I don't like snakes. They're creepy, and hostile, and mean. It could attack Aiko." I countered. He looked at me like I was being dramatic - to be fair, I was.
"They're not poisonous." he told me.
"That's irrelevant. It could still strike us or Aiko. It might not be poisonous, but I'm sure it still wouldn't feel good." I screeched.
"You're acting like it's some vicious animal. It's completely harmless--" he began.
I cut him off with, "It has a critter hanging out of its face that it's eating!"
He laughed at my theatrics. It was probably comical for any of the neighbors that heard our little exchange.
"Let's just move it, go toss it in the creek or something." I suggested.
"I'm afraid if we try to move him, he'll choke and die on his food." I stared at him in disbelief.
In the end, I lost. I wasn't allowed to kill the limbless serpent. If I see it again, though, it's as good as dead.
No comments:
Post a Comment