Thursday, August 18, 2011

Disc Golf

So, we have embraced this amazingly fun sport (disc golf). I played for the first time on Tuesday and I'm so addicted. My shoulder was hurting, but I went ahead and went again on Wednesday and I improved dramatically from my first time!

I came home and read a ton of stuff about grip and technique, watched a lot of youtube videos. So, I started implementing those techniques and it helped a lot. Honestly, I can see me getting really good at this! And it's just so much fun!

My shoulder was so, so, so sore last night but I still wanted to go throw a disc.

In case you aren't familiar with the sport, it's sort of similar to golf (hence the name) only you're playing with discs (frisbee like things, but not frisbees - don't confuse them with frisbees). Players try to throw a disc into a basket. The object is to get your disc into the basket in the fewest number of throws.

You even have different types of discs: drivers, mid-rangers, putters. The discs have different shapes/curves, weights, and sizes to better meet the needs of the distance you're throwing.

Teeing off is the funnest part (for me) and probably the most important. Your technique and grip really matter - well, they always matter, but for me getting in a good drive from the tee-off is important. When I was watching the youtube videos I remember giggling at some of the forms. The way they'd position themselves and get a running start and then sort of do a half spin when they throw the disc... I say it's very 'ballerina' like. However, it works! So whatevs.

I worked on putting more tonight and got better at it too!

The saddest and most hilarious part of tonight's game, was on the 8th basket when the hubs goes to tee-off (he's got some work to do on his driving technique) and gets his little running start and then slings his arm out and releases the disc way too soon. He stood there frozen in his little pose as we both watched our only driver disc plump into the stupid pond - which was to the far left of where his aim should have been. *sigh*

Oy, shoulder is hurting even more tonight! And my foot! Still having this foot pain, don't know what the deal is...

No comments:

Post a Comment