Today was more disappointing than not. We gathered all of our things and prepared to check out of hotel first thing this morning. Then we rode our bikes to a waste of a meal at the Corner Bakery Cafe. Terrible service and less than mediocre food.
Then we had to ride our bikes back to the rental place to return them - in the baking heat! What was up with the weather?! Friday and Saturday it barely reached mid 70s, we had a nice breeze, some sporadic cloud coverage, really you just couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. Then today it shot up to like a scorching, sunny, no wind 95 by like 11:00am! It was just so hot! What happen to the wind? It is the windy city after all, as proven the previous two days. We were clammy and cranky and sunburned by the end of the day.
Once the bikes were returned we went out, as planned, to walk the 'magnificent mile' and visit and shop at all the little shops, but it was just so ridiculously hot that we were just miserable. Not just that, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the shops in that stretch. I was much more interested in their Old Navy - and I'm not even an Old Navy person - and their Charlotte Russe.
We didn't get to go up the Hancock or Willis tower. We were suppose to have done the Hancock Observatory Saturday, but with the ridiculous wait on the food and then with our show we didn't have time.
So, pretty much today was just walking around and 'shopping.' It just wasn't that fun for me.
At around 2:00 we tried out our third pizza place - Gino's is still my standing favorite. And by then it was time to head to the station and catch the train.
I was pretty happy at the idea of getting to just sit for 6 hours. The train ride - again - wasn't bad. I read in my book, we watched two Glee episodes, we chatted, and snacked. Overall, no complaints with the train ride.
My disappoints overall with the trip are things like: not getting to go up either of the big buildings, not getting that night shot that I really wanted, not getting to try that ice cream place that is allegedly better than Andy's (which I don't personally think is possible since Andy's is my personal favorite frozen treat!), wasting a whole day in the heat and not even enjoying the shopping options.
So… today's a big sack of gripes. Unfortunately. I kept trying so hard not to be flustered, but then just more flustering things kept happening! Gah!
I feel bad for my hubs, because I think he thinks I blame him or something. I don't! Not at all, and I've told him that several times. I just hate that we wasted today on that stupid, hyped up, miserable, 'magnificent mile' instead of doing some of those other things that I think we would have overall enjoyed much more.
Oh well, I have no doubt we'll be back. I have a lot of complaints - really just poor planning on our part complaints - and I'm still in love with that city! I prefer it over New York any day!
If I ever need and / or want to move to a big city and if it can't be in Hawaii I would choose Chicago (as of this moment).
No comments:
Post a Comment