Monday, November 23, 2009

What to do with my life?

I know, I know. We go through this about every couple of weeks or so. But I really don't know what to do. I've recently discovered that a few of the agencies around here that I would LOVE to work at, though I'm qualified to work at them based on things I've done in my current degree, it seems as though I'm not going to get the correct piece of paper. Aside from receiving my BS from SEMO I also would need to get a certificate in occupational therapy assistant (COTA). Which, I won't lie I'm very interested in. I would love to do it. However, I'm totally burned out on school! I'm SO ready to just be done! Then again, the problem with that is finding a job. I'm desperate to find a job that actually requires my degree. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of those 8-5, no weekend jobs out there working as receptions or assistants in doctors offices and such that are very appealing and actually don't pay horribly. It's just that I seriously have a passion for the things I can and want to do and I've worked for four years and spent a lot of money so that I could be qualified to do them! So I want to put all of that to use! There are plenty of jobs around here that I actually want. The problem is, the agencies don't have high turn-over rate. The people that are there have been there for 20 years and are going to be there for 10 more! Ya know? So what is my solution? Do I suck it up and do another year of school to receive the COTA? On yet another aspect, Cory and I discussed this in-depth and it seems as though no matter which route I go I'll probably only have to work for 3-4 years before we start trying to have kids...at which point I'll probably be able to stay home if I want. That is on the assumption I can get a decent paying job in my area of study. So it seems as if it's going to be 3-4 years no matter which way I take then another year of school and more tuition isn't worth it. Right? Ahhhhh! What to do...what to do?! Why is it that at the end of my four years of college I really discover what I want to do and I need additional schooling for it? Lame.

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I could tell you that I understand. I kinda do because I'm working at a job right now that (although I love it) isn't what I went to school for and it's a little frustrating.
    I hate that you are struggling with what to do. I can tell you that I have complete confidence that you will be amazing at whatever you decide to do. Your determination and drive is something that few people can match.

    Keep your head up and I'll be praying for you to make a decision that allows you to truly follow your heart. (I've decided recently to stop being general when I pray and just tell God straight up what I need...heh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...I want to add that your word verification thingy just had me spell out feces.

    yuck.

    ReplyDelete