Thursday, January 28, 2010
Twilight vs New Moon
**Warning! Storyline information will be talked about regarding Twilight and New Moon so if you do not wish to know I would not recommend reading**
I did it. I finally started the Twilight Saga. I've been very fortunate to not have anything spoiled for me yet. In fact, I've actually asked a few questions and people won't even tell because they say I need to continue reading and find out for myself. The suspense is killing me. I just want all the knowledge to jump from the book into my head! Despite that, I have really enjoyed reading them. I use to read books for leisure in high school, but since starting college my leisurely reading time has been severely cut back. I think I'm definitely going to fight to keep it going this time. I've discovered -- upon the assumption of having a good book -- that I love to read!
Alright so here is my, own, personal review of the books and movies so far. Twilight is absolutely amazing. Seriously, one of my favorite books now. You have this twisted, suspenseful, amazing, passionate, forbidden love story. Reading about the two characters and the depths that they go through just to be around each other and to actually be a couple is just awesome for me. The detail in the writing is very good too, I can absolutely picture everything so clearly. I fell in love with this story and can't wait to finish out the series.
Now, the Twilight movie...not that great for me. Alright, I take that back...to an extent. It has proven to be a challenge to explain this. The movie standing on it's own is a good movie...compared to the book is a little frustrating. I know lots of people don't think you should make the comparison because movies are rarely ever as good and the books they follow and a lot of people say it's just one view of the book. However, the sole inspiration and existence of the film is because of the book. So that is my basis of comparison in my head. I haven't read any of the alternative character view points yet, but even having said that I feel like Twilight itself did a great job making very clear how hard it was for Edward to be around Bella without killing her...no...I don't know exactly what he's thinking because the book isn't told from his point-of-view, but...neither is the movie so I feel like the same impressions should have been made. Edward is constantly smiling that "favorite crooked smile" or mocking her or laughing at her or laughing with her and he's always teasing/making fun of her. And a large part of the books is just that. Them becoming a couple. No matter how strange or twisted. So on that topic I felt like Edward's movie character was seriously out of character from the one in the book. Through the entire movie he is so serious, there are few exceptions of this. Also, I felt like the movie rushed the whole journey of them becoming a couple. It cut out so much and instead focused on things that aren't even in the book. It made me sad, because the sole act of them falling in love is well over half of the book. But...I did enjoy the movie when I was able to get past my minor complaints. It also probably didn't help that I literally finished the book and watched the movie all in the same day. So I'm dying to watch the movie again! Oh..and one of the most frustrating parts of the movie to me was when Edward had to suck the venom out of Bella's wrist and the movie made it such that Carlisle had to like make Edward stop...he had to tell Edward over and over and then confess that he was even killing her. Uh...in the book Edward stopped on his own...and I felt like that was such an important part of his character; that he was able to stop himself from killing her. When I read that it developed so much more for his character for me and it proved a lot about the feelings he had for Bella in comparison with his instincts and desire to actually kill her.
I enjoyed New Moon -- the book. It was a slow beginning, but I was able to stay engaged and interested for what I suspected was eventually coming. The last several chapters were amazing, better than I had anticipated even! The storyline of them having to go through such struggles so differently yet the same just so that Edward could discover that he can't live without her is really great. It is hard for me not to be a Jacob fan though, so it was also sad that he's in love with someone who will never love him in the same way back. I'm an Edward fan all the way though! Except for I did slightly want to kill him through most of the book and secretly hoped that Bella would at least be with Jacob if for nothing else than to cause Edward pain. Even though, I truly knew Edward was in pain/depression as well. It still made me angry that he left her like that. Ah...how involved you can get with these books...lol. I keep telling Cory that I'm going to divorce him and marry Edward...and he keeps telling me that Edward isn't real. So then, I just tell him I'll settle for the next best thing...Robert Pattinson. I'm absolutely certain he's only attractive to me because of the character he plays...but hey...I can have my fantasy ;)
New Moon -- the movie -- was much, much better! I feel like it followed the book so much better and that made me happy. They tweaked a few things, but nothing major enough to bother me like Twilight did. I loved the scenes, I thought the wolf graphics were really good, and I felt like the actors developed even more into their character roles. It was good. I have no major complaints.
I am only in like the second chapter in Eclipse and it has been really good so far. I have two close friends who both say this is probably their favorite book in the series. So I can't wait to find out what's going to happen. I just want to sit and read it and do nothing else! But...I've been an abnormally responsible student all week and did homework instead. I'm all caught up! So tomorrow is reading day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment