Sunday, January 10, 2010

Where to begin?

Last week was just so crazy. I was so excited after the holidays because I had two more weeks of absolute nothingness before classes started! Right? No, wrong. And it has sucked. Yes, I realize I sound like a big spoiled baby and even with all the craziness this week I'm sure nearly everyone else I know what busier. But still. I'm still taking advantage of these last 5 months of being a student...and I should get to! Most people do (not everyone, I know...but most). My car's check engine light came on Monday, work as all drama filled this week again, and I had to work sort of a lot, we started our work out plan and healthier menu...so it's was just a stressful week. Then...there was Friday. Friday was simply awful. We woke up late actually so we had missed our workout. So when we woke up Cory went to go shower and I fought myself on waking up. Finally, I did and was fixing to start us some breakfast. Cory was perfectly fine all morning and hasn't had any recent illnesses. He walked over to the fridge, got out our water pitcher and walked over to the closet to fill it up from the water jug. As he was walking back over into the kitchen he sort of stumbled over into the table and sat the water pitcher down on the table and like dropped down to one knee...all while very dramatically saying, "Oh my God...what is wrong with me?" I, of course, start freaking out and asking him over and over what's wrong. He was more or less just sort of grunting and moaning in pain. It took him a few minutes to choke out where he was experiencing intense pain at. As he lay there on the floor, he started telling me what was up. He had experienced extreme, sudden abdominal pain. It was in the middle and center of his abdomen (in between his chest and belly button, and in between his ribcage). He said it hurt all the way from side to side and all the way through to his back, but the pain was focused in the center. So I freak out and call his mom (his mom use to be an RN). She freaks out and thinks it's his gallbladder. So I ask him if he wants to go to hospital - he agrees. His willingness to go scared me even more -- you have no idea how much he protests visits to the hospital no matter how sick/injured he is. He asked me to take him through ER express at Southeast since it would be quick and cheaper than regular ER. So we tried that...and they wouldn't see him. So I called Cory's regular doctor, who is at St. Francis and they actually told us to go through the ER so he could receive immediate testing. So we did. He had to have an IV, and they took lots and lots of blood. It took forever for a doc to finally get in to see him. He pushed around on Cory's abdomen and discovered slight tenderness, but Cory confessed that it didn't hurt nearly as bad to be pushed on as it did just any time he moved at all. The doc was convinced it was his appendix (based on symptoms... I have no idea why...but hey, I'm not the doctor). So they did an x-ray (again I don't know why, x-ray will not show anything on organs unless there are stones or abnormal masses). Again, I know I'm not a doc but I have been exposed to the medical world more than I would have liked too. Plus Cory's mom is an RN and my mom has worked in a Pediatricians office for a long, long time. When the x-ray didn't show anything (surprise) the doc decided to try and play it off on a virus...without even testing anything on the gallbladder. I was fuming. I was about to snap on that man. Cory has had no recent illness...and call me crazy, but I don't think the onset of a virus which there have been no symptoms of at all would cause you to suddenly drop to the floor in pain. Not to mention, white blood count should be low if it were a virus. And Cory's wasn't. So...that was pretty much it. Doctor said that he wouldn't rule out gallbladder or appendix, but if either were acting up it just wasn't showing up through testing yet. He said if pain persists or worsens to bring him back in by Saturday morning. The pain and persisted, but hasn't been extreme. We haven't taken him back in yet, but I'm thinking that we might have to tomorrow. The poor guy has literally laid on the couch all weekend. Not kidding. I have babied him up real good. He has only had to get up to go to the bathroom, shower, and to move from the couch to the bed. So it worries me that he even has any pain left because he hasn't been doing anything. So I have no idea what to think or do. Cory said he understands this isn't something to mess around with and when he feels it's time to go back to hospital he will tell me. I know I tend to over exaggerate things, but he tends to under exaggerate them. So...I worry. Then after 4 1/2 hours in the hospital, I had to go to the dealer to get my car looked at. I got there at 2:30. They 'had it done at 4:30," I left...got almost back home and the check engine light came on again. I called them, had to go back up there and left for the 2nd time at 5:30. Then the check engine light came back on today. *big sigh* Tomorrow is looking fun already.

No comments:

Post a Comment