I really thought I was past the days of receiving the look. You know, the one where people find out that I'm 23 and then find out I've been married for 4 1/2 years. After they've spent the awkward silence figuring the simple math they usually ask, "You got married when you were 18?"
Thank you, captain obvious.
My response is fairly generic at this point. I usually sigh and answer with a simple, "Yes."
However, the next look that I receive is the one that really bothers me. The one where they look at me questioningly, then break the eye-contact. And that's when I know that they really want to ask me if I got knocked-up or something.
I hate their prejudices. I understand that current generations have ruined the purity of getting married because you really love someone. And forget about getting married at a younger age without those assumptions going through everyone's head.
But, when you have the nerve to judgmentally ask me, "Do you have a kid?" and then follow it with, "Well, then why did you get married so young?" after receiving the news that I am child free... it grinds on my patience.
So, tonight when I went out with my cousin and 5 other girls, by the time the small talk and revelations had come to the fifth one - poor thing, the snapping wasn't meant for only her - I had a small break down.
"Yes! I got married when I was 18-years-old. No! I was not knocked-up, I have not since had any children, nor do I plan on having any for several more years. Why did I get married? I don't know, why does everyone else get married? I loved the man, I was moving up here to be with him, I had a pretty good notion that we were going to be together no matter when we received the stupid piece of paper making it legal with our government, so we decided to do it then instead of waiting." It all came out with a little more hostility than intended.
The employees from the small shop we were in turned to stare at the small exchange as well as all of the other gals in our group. All of which just stared at me with stunned expressions on their faces - except my cousin, who was laughing.
No comments:
Post a Comment