Thursday, March 17, 2011

Love at first sight






I've been fascinated with roller derby since the movie Whip It. However, last Saturday when I went to my very first roller derby game, I fell in love! I'm pretty sure I'm made for this! Lol. When I was like early teen years, I was obsessed with roller skating. My mother took us to Skate City like every other weekend or at least once a month for a while. I was so into it! I learned how to do a bunch of fun twirls and jumps and skating backwards and all that! I really, really wanted to do roller disco! Seriously. 

Then, roller blades came out and ruined everything. You weren't a 'cool kid' anymore unless you were roller blading. I hate roller blades. I never could skate very well on them... and slowly roller skates got faded out of the skating rink. Which is totally lame, in my opinion. 

Not only is it skating with roller skates, but it skating with a bunch of other girls that you get to knock around! Perfect. Haha. 

Not that I particularly want to rough anyone up, but it seems like an important perk to the game ;)

I've envied the Cape team every since there was one. 

So, after attending my first game I came home to scope out our team. I'm a devoted fan now. I plan on attending every home game possible. In my search to find their schedule, I found other fun stuff! Like how they have 'fresh meat' classes about 3 or 4 times a year.

And... they have tryouts every September. 

I've been saying this a lot... and I'm pretty sure that not a single person has taken me seriously... not even Cory, but... I am going to tryout! So, that gives me about 6 months to practice. I'm looking into my very first skate purchase! There is so much more involved than just trying to find a pair of skates to buy. They have to have the right kind of wheels and stoppers and toe guards, etc. Plus, they won't even let you skate during a fresh meat class unless you have: knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, helmet, and mouth guard. So... I have to get all of that stuff too. I want to practice in all the gear I'll play in, that way I'm use to it. Plus... I plan on falling down a whole lot. Might as well get prepared for that in this game and practice for it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment