I've been more daring with my foods lately. The hubs has been making me branch out and eat healthier different foods. Last night's meal preparation wasn't exactly a daring or especially healthy meal. We get these little side item packet things sometimes and last night I was making the Teriyaki Rice one.
So I started browsing the internets for some ideas of how to cook some chicken to compliment that. I found this one, it was an "Asian Chicken Dry Rub." It seemed harmless enough. It was basically just like sesame seeds, salt, pepper, cumin, little bit of cinnamon, and a little bit of brown sugar.
When I had made it all up, I did note that the smell made me a little leery, but that's been the case with a lot of foods lately that have turned out to be just fine. So I I went ahead and rubbed it on the chicken and proceeded to cook it.
I announced that the food was ready and the hubs came in to take his first cautious bite. His face was great, but once he noticed that I was watching him he quickly smoothed out his expression.
"How is it?" I asked.
"Uh, yeah, it's good." He said, trying a little too hard.
"Oh no, it's gross isn't it?" I moaned. Then, I took an experimental bite. I could barely make myself swallow it. There's just something about all of those 'harmless' ingredients that made for a very bad spice when combined.
We teased and mocked each other as we tried to potatoes and the rice. Something was even off in them. I don't even know what. Perhaps the chicken had just ruined my taste buds for the whole meal, but it all tasted gross.
"Maybe you should rinse it off." I told him, my tone slathered in sarcasm. But he did! It was the most hilarious thing. He picked up his piece of chicken, walked over to the sink, turned the faucet on, and started rinsing off his chicken.
So, to sum it all up: you know the meal you've prepared is bad when your husband takes his piece of chicken to rinse it off and then still doesn't eat it.
Dinner, Round 2 was a turkey wrap.
No comments:
Post a Comment