Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What would you do for 1 million dollars?

I'm not sure how it came up, but last night my husband revealed the disturbing truth of what he would do for a million dollars.

Oh, I remember, somehow or another I got to telling him about a show that someone else had told me about. On this show - I have no idea what show it is - they ask people to do crazy, weird, bizarre things for a million dollars.

Some of those things ranged from being able to do something physically, doing some the gross, and/or doing something degrading - just from the examples I was given.

Like, there was this one guy who was in a staged accident, only he didn't know it was staged but everyone else was in on it. Someone was there or showed up or whatever, and told him the only way to save his family was to run the flat, even road back to the little gas station. It was only like a mile. They pretended to know what they were talking about an said his family probably only had x-amount-of-time to survive. The man was not able to make it in whatever amount of time that had been.

Another man was told he would be given a million dollars if he would bite one of his wife's fingers off.

And, the last, that I was told about was about a man who was told he would receive a million dollars to cheat on his wife.

Disturbing show, huh? I guess it's a pretty good sample for the ridiculous things people would do for money. Of course, everybody wants a good life. Part of having a good life is having money. However, to me, as cliche as it is money isn't at the top of my list. There are definitely things more important than money.

So when I explained the last scenario and the husband unhesitantly splurted out, "Oh, yeah, I'd cheat on you for a million dollars." I was shocked, even if his tone was slathered in sarcasm. The conversation was very light, but after asking him over and over again if he was serious...he kept saying yes. Like it was no big thing.

Our conversation continued into me berating him, explaining how this proves my point that he is a little too obsessed with the financial part of life. Keep in mind that the whole conversation was very mocking, but I'm still using it to prove a point. He tried to get me to see how much money a million dollars was. And that afterwards our lives would be set for forever. I contradicted him with, "My life would be set for forever, because if you cheated on me, I'd be divorcing you and taking every last penny I could get."

He tried back pedaling, as he could see my feelings had been slightly hurt, but he couldn't quite get himself out of the hole he'd dug.

At the end of the discussion he tenderly told me that I should know he'd never cheat on me. However, if he were seriously offered a million dollars... I don't know if I believe that. He's truly a pessimist, though he says he's just a realist - that's what all pessimists say though, isn't it? He's so wrapped up into finances and long-term goals and material things - in a way - that I think sometimes he strays just faintly away from the bigger picture. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for his sense of responsibility. It's a blessing in our lives.

But, as humans, it's hard to think outside of the spectrum of our narrow human minds. But, understanding that the Big Guy comes first above all other things and seeking his kingdom and truly living as the body of Christ... it's something that we must be convicted to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment