- Getting hit in the neck is the worst thing ever! I'd rather been punched in the face. My neck hurts so bad
- Paintballing is without doubt the best workout I've ever had. My whole body is sore and exhausted
- Tomorrow I start my INSANITY workout! Hopefully I survive!
Sunday, February 7, 2010
First paintballing experience
So there was this big paintball game up...somewhere...that Cory has been talking about for well over a month. It was free admission/free lunch/$5 rental. Apparently a good deal. The only thing we really had to pay for was paint.
I had told Cory that I might (*might) go and this rapidly turned into, "you said you would go." I did want to go. It is something the husband clearly enjoys and wanted me to at least try. Something that he wanted me to be a part of...something he wanted to share with me. Weird twist on it, I know, but I still thought it was cute. So I told him I would go if he read the Twilight Saga. He has admitted to both movies, thus far, being "alright." And...they are something that I enjoy...something that I want to share with him. Seemed like a fair trade to me. Haha. So he agreed. I went paintballing with him today, he is going to start reading the Twilight Saga. Compromises are great!
Now, reasons I didn't want to go include: it was cold, wet, snowy, my first time, a day long trip away from home, and cost me money. So I wasn't being the most optimistic person about the event. Nonetheless, I did go.
We get there. Cory has a new paintball gun that he hasn't even gotten to use on the field yet...and it wouldn't work. There were some other guys there that helped him get it working, but we were late entering the game. [Side note: this was called a "big game" there were nearly 150 people there divided into two teams a let loose on 22 acres of woods and fields to play]. So finally his gun is working and off we go, we get to where we can see the field boundaries and some of us get a little too excited and was going to take off running to enter the game. Cory happen to be near a very large section of frozen water -- ice. It was so funny. He looked like a little cartoon character trying to take off as his feet moved in place and he got no traction. Then his feet slid out to the left of him causing him to fall on the right side of his body. I could not help my self, it was an unconscious response to laugh at the poor guy immediately -- all while asking him if he's okay...of course. He laid there for a few seconds moaning and finally pushed himself back up. [Side note: his right elbow and knee are pretty badly bruised/scrapped up and his left wrist got hurt when he tried to catch himself -- but he's okay].
He gets up and off we go towards the field again. We get there and tag in and play for about 5 seconds before my crappy, rental mask starts fogging up. I could not see anything. And you are absolutely forbidden to take your mask off anywhere near the playing field. They will kick you out for it. So Cory -- God love him -- had to leave the field too and lead me back off the boundaries. Oh...and right as we were leaving the playing boundary, I got pinged in the face. It hit my mask though and didn't hurt at all. Just annoyed me.
So I get a thermal mask and now I'm good to go. I'm trying my hardest to make it fun for the hubby now after such a crappy morning. After all, he had been looking forward to this event for months. So we get back out there and jump right in. I was so proud of myself! I shoot my gun about 10 times...and then I was out of air! ARGH! Crappy rental people didn't fill it up all the way!! So then...we had to leave the field again, go back down to out of boundaries and get my tank refilled. At which point the first game was over. :(
Oh, and did I mention how far the walk was? Far. Very, very far. It sucked so bad. Not to mention every time you get hit you have to go respawn by going all the way back to your teams tag in place before you can start playing again. Depending on where you are on the field...also very, very far.
We got our free lunch, sat in the car for some warmth, then went back at it. The second game was so much funner. It was a capture the flag setup. At first we followed around this team of guys who play together on a regular basis that Cory knows. However, that wasn't fun for me. So finally, we broke away from them and charged a little fort the other team had taken over. I got to 'kill' my first two people there! Very exciting, definitely an adrenaline rush. It quickly got very crazy as the other team started taking over our charge! There were paintballs flying everywhere. It was insane, but so much fun. You had to duck and crawl and hide behind stuff all while trying to take out the other players. I found it very exciting. Until I was huddled down behind a brush of tree branches and Cory had gotten out and was working on respawning. Suddenly a guy from my team says, "There's a guy to our right...I'm going to crawl over and see if I can -" about that moment we're being shot at from a million different angles (it seemed like). I finally see one guy over to my right and get up on my knees and basically unloaded on him. There is no way I missed him. But he kept shooting at me. Like two balls him me in the left shoulder and one pinged me right in the neck, under my left ear. I was ticked. I totally screamed at the guy...and then like I fair player went to go respawn correctly. Ugh, made me so angry. After that our side of the field was basically taken over by the other team. We could barely reenter at all before being taken right back out. I got hit several more times, but none hurt the way the one that hit me in the neck did. I did get to 'kill' like four people though! Counting the guy that I know I hit, yet didn't say it. I thought that was alright for a first timer.
See...when you get hit you're suppose to scream "I'm hit" or some variation of the phrase and jump up with one hand in the air to get out of the way and go respawn. Some people were apparently a little too lazy to do that. *sigh*
All in all, I had a pretty good time, I'll probably go again. It was such a rough start though I know Cory didn't have near as good a time as he had been hoping for, and that makes me sad. :'(
Side note:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad that you went. You are always so open to trying new things and I have always admired that about you :)
ReplyDeleteQuick thinking getting Cory to read the Twilight series. I think that he would actually really enjoy them...Cory seems like he's pretty good about keeping an open mind ;)
I know! I've always said I'd try anything once. *sigh* Sometimes I want to take it back! lol.
ReplyDeleteI do too! I really think Cory will enjoy the books, he just doesn't want to try them because they're 'girly' or whatever. But, he got suckered into it! We'll see what his verdict is. I think he is going to do audio-books so he can listen some while at work. I said I would allow this ;)