Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Christmas

So...I know it's the day after, but we were back home for a few days and blogging just wasn't in my schedule. So I wanted to blog about my Christmas thoughts now. Something that bothers me most about Christmas is people's ignorance to the meaning of it. Even for people who don't believe in Christ yet still celebrate it. Why do you think the 'holiday' exists at all? Granted December 25th isn't known to be Christ's exact birthday it may have been chosen to be celebrated because early Christians believed it to be exactly nine months after Jesus was placed in His physical mother's womb. However, it could also have been chosen in some weird relation to the date of the northern hemisphere's winter solstice. Either way, the existence of this day is to celebrate the birth of our Savior. No matter any other watered-down reason you may give to it to justify your own ways of celebrating it, it is to acknowledge and celebrate Christ's birth. I know I'm treading on thin ice when I bring up my next thought; which is Santa Claus. I'm not totally knocking down Santa Claus here. My parents did Santa Claus and I loved it. In fact I still get presents that say, "From Santa" on them. It's a fun thing for kids...it's a fun thing for families to do...right? I agree and disagree. On one side I was raised with a 'Santa Claus' and I turned out fine...not scarred for life or anything. So was my husband and most people I know. However, Cory and I have stirred up quite the tension with our parents and families with the recent announcement that we might not do Santa Claus with our kids. I believe that Santa is a fun, fun thing and the intentions behind it are good. However, I also believe that it is a part of the watered-down beliefs of Christmas. I don't think I want my kid to think that they get presents at Christmas because some mythical, made-up character brought them. I think it's hard to teach kids about Christ's birth being the reason for Christmas yet also making a big fuss about Santa Claus. I'd rather spend my time helping my young children grasp who Jesus is and what He did and how it's important to celebrate such a special day accordingly. Not to mention...I want my kids to know that those presents come from mommy and daddy! What's up with that? Why, yes, I do want to take credit for making Christmas special in my kid's life. Not to mention, I don't think kids really like Santa. I think they like the idea. I haven't met many little kids...that aren't scared of the man. Now, I guess when they get older it's somewhat better. But, those little guys are terrified of him! Have you ever went to one of those 'take a picture with Santa' things? Go. Count how many kids are crying or hanging on to their parents for dear life. Why would you do that to your kids? Also, what about the conversation that awaits you. Telling your children that he isn't real. Some kids have definitely figured it out by the time parents work up the nerve to say it. But, I remember feeling like it was this strange thing to have believed in something for so long and it not be real. Almost like I had been let down. I mean, I wasn't upset or angry or anything like that, but it was just a weird and almost indescribable feeling. I mean nothing about the 'meaning' or 'reason' for Santa implies or supports the real reasons for the day. Anyway, I don't know what we'll end up doing. But...we're totally leaning towards not telling them. I'm really working on my relationship with God. And we go to an amazing church that is full of encouragement and supports independent believes (within a biblical realm, of course). I just feel like Christmas is a great time to really feel close to our Savior...and I want to focus my children on that. I hate it that it took 18 years of my life before I really met and got to know God. Please, don't misinterpret. I'm not saying Christians can't do Santa...or that by doing so you're any less Christian. Nothing like that. I'm just saying these are my own thoughts and I think they're supported well. And it makes me question how supported the idea of Santa is. Why do parents chose to do Santa Claus instead of a more realistic belief? So, my parents aren't taking this well. They've made a few comments here and there. They even said something like, "Will you let your kids watch Casper or read Harry Potter." Which really just made me angry because it's a ridiculous comparison. First, I won't go around telling my kids Casper or Harry Potter is real. Second, Casper nor Harry Potter nor anything similar is a belief...it's a story. Grrr. Actually, the amount of people that seem to be offended because we believe this way is somewhat annoying. Especially since it is well support with our other beliefs. I'm not dragging you down or criticizing you for telling your kids about Santa...I'm just saying that I probably wont...and here's why... Aside from that, I had an amazing Christmas except for getting sick on Christmas day and having to come back home early. I have an extreme sore throat!! :( But, I have amazing family, amazing friends, and am amazingly blessed. God is good. I love Him! Happy birthday, Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. Although Eric and I will probably have Santa at Christmas, I think that the reasoning behind not having a Santa Claus is very sound. I respect and to an extent support it. I liked having Santa as a kid and I think my parents did a great job explaining him to my siblings and I. However, I think about classmates and how heartbroken they were to discover there was no Santa and I realize that perhaps I was in the minority instead of the majority.

    Just make sure your kids understand the importance of not "ruining" Santa for other kids. I'm sure you will because you guys are thoughtful but I remember the kid that ruined it for my friends :)

    Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh indeed! I actually talked with a few other couples at church this last Sunday about how they do Christmas, and there was one couple who didn't mention Santa at all and it worked out very well for them. Like instead of making a point to say, "Santa isn't real." They just didn't bring it up until the child was old enough to understand. So the kid didn't even know Santa at all. It worked. For them.

    Although, our kid will probably be home-schooled and have minimal chances of ruining it for other kids; I'm certain after speaking with other parents at church that it is more than possible. :)

    ReplyDelete