Sunday, December 13, 2009
Public smoking
Alright, so I'll do my darnedest to not be too offensive. I am an asthmatic. I take medication for it on a regular basis. That said, I'm also a Libertarian and believe in total freedom...as long as you aren't endangering someone elses life, health, liberty, or property then no one should be concerned with what you're doing. No one! Now...having said that...I truly feel public smoking should be illegal. When I walk outside and am unwillingly exposed to someone elses bad habit, I find that very frustrating. Especially when it is one clinically proven to put my own health at risk -- and especially because I'm an asthmatic. I say habit, because it is a voluntary, regular practice that you chose to engage in. Though often challenging and difficult, it can be given up. It is mostly a psychological battle. And you control your brain, your brain doesn't control you.
I hate going to a public restaurant and ask to be seated in the non-smoking section just to be taken to a table that has a half wall and two doorways dividing me from the smokers. I literally can't even enjoy my meal because you can't keep your bad habit at home? I don't care what you do in your house or car, but when you smoke freely outside of those private, personal places you are putting other's health at risk.
Not to mention walking in Walmart's doors through a cloud of cigarette smoke, or hospital doors, or freaking campus. It's sickening. Literally. I understand some places I myself could chose to avoid, however, there are other places that I can't avoid. I must go to them for work, education, exercise, food, materials, etc. For living. I won't bash on you because you smoke (even though it is a very disgusting, bad, and expensive habit), but I will bash on you because you smoke when it puts my health at risk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is one (and probably the only) think I love about Illinois. They don't seem to get much right up here but outlawing smoking within 15 feet of buildings is awesome.
ReplyDeleteWhen you go to a restaurant you don't have to worry about sitting near someone smoking and when you walk outside you don't have to worry about that cloud of smoke.
I love it!