Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Crazy day already

At 11am my day is as follows:
  • 5:30am - alarm sounds for working out (blah)
  • 6-7am - working out (blah again)
  • 7am - notice that I have forgotten my drivers license and all my cards (frustration)
  • 7:10am - get out of shower at gym...realize I forgot a bra (are you freakin kidding me?)
  • 7:30am - get to campus...no parking (go figure)
  • 8-9am - presentation day at class. If I have to hear one more freaking speech about how freaking great Obama is...I might serious shake someone. After the first one I started making comments...and I'm quite certain I ticked off many people (although some enjoyed it equally as much).
  • 10am - finally home and have a HUGE headache.
  • 11 am - working on homework
Amazingly my greatest complaint of the day so far is the amount of ignorance given in those presentations. If you have the nerve to stand before your class and give a speech on politics or a specific politician knowing that the professor is going to open up discussion and comments immediately afterwards...you better KNOW your crap! If there is anything I can give myself credit for it's that I research the things that I believe in. I KNOW them. Front and back. And if I don't...I have no problem saying, "I don't know." Example 1: A girl gave a speech on Bush's word choice after 9/11 of calling our war a 'crusade' at which point she tries to back her entire speech with her personal experience in the military and claiming that 'average' Americans don't see what they see...that 'we' don't see what's really going on. So I asked her to give an example of that. So she tells me that when she was in Iraq that the people there would go and take every little thing that Americans do and say and turn it into some hostile video to rally troops to fight American soldiers over there. So I asked her why are we over there. She told me for protection. I cut her short and asked, "for our protection?" She hesitates and says, "for ours and theirs." I reply with, "at the risk of upsetting many people, we have no business being there. Especially now. It's not the United States job or right to invade other countries when they publicly are saying they do NOT want us there. If we are asked to help then it is different. We cannot run around trying to police the entire world and expect good, happy things to come of it. We are not God...and our own country has enough flaws. We should not be there." A second girl dared to stand before the class and support universal healthcare. She named the opposing views of socialized healthcare and 'crushed' their logic (her own words). At the end she seemed quite pleased with herself. Then I say, "What about the rights of individuals? What about individual freedom? We are a 'free' country right? Constitutionally we are, but then again...our government doesn't follow the Constitution. Are you aware of the fact that if universal healthcare is enforced and implemented that I have NO choice at all. I either have to jump on that train with everyone else or pay a fine for choosing not to. Not to mention that either way you look at it I'll be forced to contribute to abortion clinics. If I sign up and do universal healthcare then my money contributes to abortion clinics and if I don't...then the fine I'll be charged will contribute to abortion clinics." She stutters around for a while and then goes on an angry rage about how none of that is true and I don't know what I'm talking about. I jump in with a stern, "Then prove me wrong!! Unlike you I'm not standing up there ignorantly giving out false information. I have studied and researched this. It's easy to listen to what our country's leader can smooth over with his speeches. I challenge you all to go and research it yourself. See if his charisma lines up with what he's really going to do." At which point the professor cut in and calmed us down. The professor loves me though. He loves having his own believes challenged. He loves being encouraged to go and find out if the things he supports really line up with his beliefs...and I really think that's why he lets and encourages me to talk so freely. I have actually changed his mind on two different issues.

1 comment:

  1. If there is one thing I'm certain of it's that you know your crap. Congrats on possibly making people open their eyes and research their beliefs :)

    ReplyDelete